First print destroyed Z stop switch

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Holten, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Holten

Holten Member

After completing the build and going through the commissioning process I was ready to start a first print. I selected benchy and hit the go button.

The printer started the homing process but instead of the bed stopping at the Z switch it just kept going. The button is smashed now.

Anyone have an idea on what would cause this? all other homing processes went as expected.

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

There is no homing at the start of the benchy gcode. it shouldnt do any homing on starting the print.

3. Holten

Holten Member

fair enough. so would what I describe be possible if I started the print without any homing done? Should a tool already be coupled to the tool changer before starting the print?

And if you don't mind passing along the manufacturer and part number for those Z stop switches that'd be great.

4. Holten

Holten Member

#4 Holten, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

6. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

I've got into the habit of testing all physical endstops with M119 prior to doing any homing to try and avoid crashes. I still have beds from other printers with nice marks on them from before I was doing that.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  7. Holten

Holten Member

thanks for the tips. I'll definitely look into getting physical endstop switches setup. Still at a complete loss as to how the crash happened in the first place. once I get my replacement switches in I'll be sure to do a lot more testing before I attempt to start a another print. Here's to hoping I didn't damage any of the axis or build plate structure.

8. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

The machine should already be homed and setup with no tool on the head when a print is started.

9. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Or your start script can arrange homing. Personally I home and re-measure the mesh at the start of every script. The tool on the head is something to be wary off. It's easy to end up with a tool on the head if you cancel a print. In this case, my routine is now to use the dashboard to first home Y, then C, and be prepared to take the tool off the head and dock it manually as it comes lose. Then you're ready to roll with a full home, or again leave that to your start script.

10. CHP

CHP Active Member

I was right at the end of commissioning, pressing the "Auto Bed Compensation" button. Then the bed moved up, but the z-switch was still outside the bed in X, then the head moved onto the bed chopping of the rubber of the z-switch.

Edit: I know what happened, I forgot to home the z axis after installing the glass bed. It's marked in the commissioning guide with an red exclamation mark and i overlooked it.

#10 CHP, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019