First real multi color print

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by blarbles, Sep 29, 2019.

1. blarbles

blarbles Well-Known Member

It came out decent. I went for an easier print than the multi-part benchy so it is only 3 colors. Keep in mind I've printed this on my modified TC (almost direct drive extruder ADD - see tool heads category) so it was much easier to avoid stringing than with the bowden setup.

I still need a prime pillar because I am getting blobs on tool change start. It is not excess hanging off the nozzle, but appears when it starts the first extrude. My guess is either:
    • Pushes too much filament initially creating a blob
    • Pressure build up from the nozzle prime and retract - bed raises - then when it starts filament is pushed out in excess?
    I tried a lot of changes in Simplify3D and some in the Duet files but haven't seen much of a difference.

Other things to note:
    • I completely skip purge. At least with ADD it does not improve anything and wastes filament.
    • This printed significantly faster than the Palette 2 for the same model on a Prusa MK2S
    • I give my silicone brush a C+. If the filament would be knocked off and down the hole rather than getting caught sometimes in the brush it would probably work much better.
    • At the end of the print there were little squiggles of filament all over the bottom of the printer that were removed by the brush or the nozzle when it passed through. I guess this is better than on the bed.
    2019-09-28 19.46.25.jpg

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Good looking print! Is that Buildtak on the glass?

3. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

Can we see a pic of your ADD extruder?
    Edit...
    Doh, Nevermind.. saw it in your other thread.
    Many have underestimated how well corexy controls movement. I would love to try a Bondtech with a pancake stepper such as the Raise3D setup. However, I have to admit that it would have a heckalot of mass.

#3 Andy Cohen, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Maybe that just means you run it a bit slower so as not to have too much vibration from the change of direction from the larger mass. Greg did say that the head could go up to a kilo with the appropriate changes to speeds.

5. blarbles

blarbles Well-Known Member

Fake Buildtak - I wanted a 300x200 magnetic build plate so I found one on eBay that sticks a magnet base to the glass and then fake Buildtak on top. I have a 300x200 steel plate coming as well that I will put PEI sticker on - not sure if this will work but it was cheap enough to try.

6. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

I suggest when you apply the stick on sheets, be sure the glass is hot otherwise bubbles could form.