First Two Weeks v5 & PLA

Discussion in 'General' started by AlexC, Apr 17, 2014.

1. AlexC

AlexC Well-Known Member

Just thought id post some of the prints from my first two weeks of playing with pumping PLA though the v5 (after resolving the PLA jamming issue).
    The v5 is back on the homemade Taz clone, I am having just a tiny bit of wall and edge inconsistency,. but this is still a new printer, and its really big so fighting backlash,. allot,.. I am still tuning it in, but its getting close now,.

This nozzle shape has now replaced my old favorite nozzle shape.
    The top surfaces it creates are absolutely smooth and beautiful.
    Its bridging is flat and even,. and just perfect,. I don't even have to do clean up around bridges anymore.
    Cornering is sharp, and clean with very little to no softening/dragging of tight corners.
    Drool is a thing of the past, i generality don't even have to prime anymore when starting a new print, and if i do prime its 1-2mm.
    which also means that doing multiple parts per tray is just that much easier.
    And the largest improvement that iv seen is actuality with small top layers,. I am not sure how yet, but somehow this thing prints tiny little top layers without warp/dragging/deforming from lack of layer cool down, i am a little baffled at what is causing this particular behavior,. but I am extremely happy to see it..

The only negative thing i can even think to say about this hot end now, is that the melt zone is so small that lower grade filament with inconsistent diameters shows a bit more in the consistency of flat walls and at corners (i think hot ends with larger melt zones have a bit of a smoothing effect on the inconsistencies of lower grade filaments that aren't so tight on there diameters, but then you live with more drool)

But use average to premium filament in this hotend, and everything is just awesome.

Attached Files:

2. AlexC

AlexC Well-Known Member

grrr,.. only three?

Attached Files:

3. AlexC

AlexC Well-Known Member

White Light

Black Light lit

Attached Files:

4. BadDevices

BadDevices Member

Awesome parts!!
    I like the pulleys and the "Nuclear" green parts.
    Where do you buy that green filament? We like particularly that color :D

5. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Great looking parts! Good job!

6. AlexC

AlexC Well-Known Member

thanks =)

Of the last two images the first green part is under flash (white light) photography,. the second green shot is with all of the lights turned off, and a 5W UV LED lighting the part,. oddly its almost the same,. but there is a sort off odd tonal range to the second one, was hoping for more glow,. but,. well anyway,. that particular filament is the cheep ebay stuff,. ok print quality,. but bad diameter consistency over all. still for ~25$ a spool its not horrid, but id not exactly recommend it either,. that's the "Fluorescent Green" PLA. I do really like there dark blue PLA though, it a nice deep/rich dark blue unlike most blues out there.. but i mostly like it just for the color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291017053164?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

7. BadDevices

BadDevices Member

Thank you Alex for the info :)
    We are searching a good "shocking" green to use for our machine in contrast with black matte coat of the metal frame. We buy from RepRap.me (from italy is easier to buy in europe) and the first spool we receive is great, but the second one with the same code has a completely diffrent tone. We have to try E3D's filaments, i think next big order :)

8. AlexC

AlexC Well-Known Member

yah, the eBay stuff is absolutely horrid with color accuracy from spool to spool, even if you order multiple spools together,.. and occasionally i swear they substitute similar colors if stock is low on the one you ordered,. aka order purple, get violet, order violet, get pink,.. my favorite is order red, and get orange,. but allot of places cant do a true transparent red for whatever reason.