Fitting integrated leadscrews And Anti Backlash nuts

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by cez, Nov 10, 2018.

1. cez

cez Well-Known Member

I've just finished fitting integrated leadscrews and anti backlash nuts in my Bigbox. Switching everything back on my bed lift is now super super slow. Any ideas on why this might be?

Many thanks for your help :)

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Does Z move 10mm if you command it to move 10mm?

cez likes this.
  3. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Thanks Ephemeris :) I had the zsteps set to 400 not 1600 :rolleyes: (no more full day builds for me, either that or more coffee after a certain hour) Sad news though I think one of my leadscrews has a bend. The other is as straight as an arrow

4. Ephemeris

Glad to help. Sorry about the bent one. Getting dead straight leadscrews is a real challenge. As you may recall I got so frustrated with what was for sale I gave up and had some custom made.

5. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Really?? That does not give me much hope. How many replacements were bad?

6. Ephemeris

I'm talking the separate Tr8x2 leadscrews not the integrated ones that are part of the stepper shaft Greg has. My comment is about the leadscrews that came with my BigBox kit as well as from two Chinese vendors and one US manufacturer. None were great, a couple were better than others and some were awful. (The awful ones were from one of the usual suspect Chinese resellers and the pitch was visibly different between leadscrews.)

To get good ones, you need to get them from a manufacturer who will guarantee the parts are good, not lowest price stuff from an unknown source. To some extent the problem is using Tr8x2 leadscrews which are classified as miniature components. The better manufacturers don't necessarily make stuff that small. This is why I switched to Tr10x2 leadscrews and got them made to order.

cez likes this.