Flexible sheet of nylon 910

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Henry feldman, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So finished the first materials test for another medical device we are working on, which would need a massive flexible perforated sheet. The question on the table was could we use a spline curve to make a very springy but tough sheet using nylon. The nylon needed to be able to fold/roll up small and would spring out with a bunch of force. So I quickly whipped this up. It's 150mm tall. The slight messiness on each hole is because I spent almost no time modeling it (since that wasn't the point) so the holes are not "normal" to the surface (they are just holes projected through space on a plane tangent to the whole curve) so they are all slightly oblique causing weird surfaces on the inside of each hole. The sheet works great. I rolled it up like a papyrus scroll and it unfolds with a strong spring aspect. 0.15 layer, ratio 0.9, T 250, Bed 80, Wolfbite, 0 fan, 60% honeycomb (although that only applies to the frame ridge at the bottom 0.5cm)

[​IMG]

Spoon Unit likes this.
  2. Henry feldman

Oh, sorry forgot to mention it is 2.5mm thick

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

That's a tricky build but the thickness does help. How small a roll was it?

4. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I love this. You are opening my mind of what we can do with these machines.

What nozzle did you use? How would Vulcano work with Nylon and thicker layers?

5. Henry feldman

[​IMG]

mike01hu likes this.
  6. Henry feldman

Just used the stock 0.4mm. I'll defer to a more experienced printer like @mike01hu, @Chase.Wichert or @Alex9779 what the effect of that change would be on the flexibility and printing.

Of course this has no infill except on the bottom anyway, and nylon bonds the layers by H-bonds, so doesn't have the same need for heat as with normal thermoplastics for layer bonding.

7. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Thanks Henry but I'm a new user as far as BigBox goes and you are a few "crashes of experience" ahead of me. :D

8. Henry feldman

I just meant volcano (since I have never used one - although I got it during the campaign)

9. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I've used the volcano a bit though never with nylon.

I presume your interest is in speeding things up so:

- you can boost the track width significantly (and remember you can up the extrusion width too, if you wish);

- you can boost the layer height too (according to the rule... is it 2/3 of nozzle size?)

- and because it can melt plastic at a phenomenal rate you can do what you like with the speed without running out of juice;

Speed is of course the multiple of the above 3 factors and measured in mm3 / s.

On a part like this I don't see any problems with ooze (so far I've not entirely been able to manage the ooze if the volcano has to do a lot of XY travel).

Such loss of precision as you will get depends on the exact parameterisation:

- I found that hole sizes (in the print plane) are more adversely affected by layer height than by track width, though extremes of both are problematic;

- anyway you can compensate for any changes in dimensionality in CAD when doing repeat prints;

Don't know if their are any caveats specific to Nylon

Regarding flexibility/elasticity, if there were infill then it would be laid down differently and that would have an impact. But here it looks like constant colinear strands so don't foresee a huge difference.

I say "go for it" and discover the world of high speed printing.

Before disassembling you might want to study the volcano photos to understand how you are going to mount it.

Note that the cartridge wires need bending differently so some people prefer having a separate set of inserts so that they are not fatigued by constant swapping between the two hotend types.

Good luck!

EDIT: ps the large profile of the Volcano block catches a lot of breeze: if you like to use the fan then DEFINITELY do the Kapton wrap thing or you'll be in for thermal runaway, not least because the difference between heat required between extruding and not extruding can also be massive, due to the volume of plastic that must suddenly be melted for this high-throughput nozzle.

#9 R Design, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016