For Sale - Bigbox 1.1 IDEX

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by AndyVirus, Aug 29, 2018.

1. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

I have no idea what it is now worth so looking to see if anyone is interested and if the price is interesting enough to part ways with something that has brought me hours of joy (and swearing until i replaced the damn Rumba).

So would anyone be interested in buying my Plywood Bigbox?

Originally a Bigbox 1.1 Dual Hybrid

• Now IDEX with MGR12 Linear Rail (Genuine MISUMI rail and sliders)
    • Titan Aero x2 (One Mirrored Titan Aero)
    • Volcano Hotends and 0.4mm Nozzles both Hardened Steel
    • Nema11 Motors for X & U (X2)
    • Nema14 Motor for Y (to increase Y movements)
    • Dual Nema17 Motors for Z (Controlled individually by dedicated stepper drivers for quietness and self levelling)
    • DuetWifi, DueX5 controller boards & PT100 Daughter board
    • PanelDue 7"
    • Clever3d PEI coated aluminium bed (clipfix)
    • 2 x E3D Glass Beds
    • Pi3 inside (used for Camera stream to Duet), running Octoprint

No idea what it is worth, if not worth much then either hang on to it for occasional use or break it down into parts and sell them if its worth more as components.

Only selling as I think i have used it twice in the last year so its just taking up space now. Was a great learning experience as my first 3D printer, which is the result i wanted, so now on to the next thing.

I have loads of spares too. I have normal V6 Hotends incase Volcano's are not someones cup of tea, though i found them to print wonderfully and more consistently. I tended to prefer MatX and Edge (or PETG in a pinch) over PLA as I dislike cooling.

I also have a Hypercube with Duetwifi and 0.15mm nozel which to be honest i have never used but has 200x200 heated bed (same type as bigbox uses) if anyone wants to make an offer on that too. Titan extruder bowden.

Still have the original Rumba, A4988 drivers and DRV8825 drivers (both x5), Original screen that came with Bigbox 1.1 and shedloads of other bits i need to categorise.

Anyway so if anyone is looking for a very loved, not hugely used bigbox then let me know.
    Probably spent about £2000 on this since original purchase and upgrades if that helps.

Happy to share my profiles for S3D too that support the above. I mainly used Edge and MatX so those would need to be cloned and tweaked for other materials. I have done some but not all.

Oh and motion parts were printed in MatX as motors can get warm so wanted high heat resistance.

2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Wow that's a lot of love to put I to a machine to sell it, getting out of 3d printing altogether?

3. AndyVirus

Yeah I know. I work away from home mostly so weekend were the only times I could play with it. Now I have 2 kids, i don't have weekends either so its a shame for it not to be used. Turns out I enjoyed building it and learning the ins and outs way more than actually printing anything :) The learning experience was invaluable.

4. Miasmictruth

I know what you mean, I have almost the same setup but my titan areo idex upgrade is stirring on the desk waiting to be installed. Only 1 kid, 8 weeks now heh. Not away as much as you for work and I still dont have time to finish it. Hoping some day to share it with Zak though when he gets old enough to start learning.

Working on an aluminum extrusion frame upgrade in fusion 360 now, but starting to adapt it towards tool change rather then idex. Slow going though can only work on it if i am on the road or little snatches when he isl sleeping lol.

#4 Miasmictruth, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  5. AndyVirus

Yeah I imagine the toolchanger is the way forward though i do like the Prusa solution.

I imagine the toolchanger is cleaner/wastes less filament but other than firmware support this looks to be a great bolt on upgrade for almost any printer (given extra stepper drivers but mine has 3 or 4 free as i went for the duex5 incase i needed more in future)
    https://forum.duet3d.com/topic/6155/multi-color-printing-with-prusa-s-mmu-v2-duet/21

Given the lack of interest, if Duet ever supports this I may remove one of the heads and add MMU2.0 as that would give me back full 300x200 and possibly remove complexity...if i ever find time again :) Part of the reason I started down this route was to teach the kids 3D object design and be able to put the objects in their hands... so no big deal if it does not go, space is my driving factor but housed in a grow tent in the garage so out of sight out of mind a bit, until bikes come along that is.

#5 AndyVirus, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  6. Miasmictruth

The Tool changer is also nice over the MMU as you can have different nozzle sizes or types without having to physically change them. Also if you are running materials with different melt temps the tool changer is nice for that too, not that you couldn't do that with the mmu but you would always be waiting for the temp change to occur.

I am crazy though I have been thinking about how to use the MMU with tool changing, it would be pretty awesome to be able to load different filaments on the fly, downside is I don't think you can use the mmu with more then 1 tool, not sure how you could pull it off.

7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

MMU per tool on the tool changer? 4 tools, 5 filaments per tool, 20 options. Duet3 with enough expansion boards could probably handle that all, though it might generate a number of headaches along the way.

jfb likes this.
  8. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting and probably fun too!

You feel like giving it a try @Spoon Unit ? :D

Honestly and all joking aside I'd like to see how that would work, but I doubt I'd find enough justifications to attempt it myself. Too many other demands on time and money.

9. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

My colleague Tony has built an E3D tool changer with one of the tools being a quad filament mixing hot end.

Miasmictruth, mhe, jfb and 1 other person like this.
  10. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Ha. Yeh - even more insanity from a 4 colour mixer in the mix (CMY and White?). Really quite a dizzying number of options.

11. Miasmictruth

What Quad mixer is he using? I would definitely be interested in checking that out!

12. Miasmictruth

As awesome as that sounds I am not sure you could feed more then 1 tool with the MMU, you would need to get very creative to make that work I think.

13. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

It's the mixer used by the Crane Quad.