Forum Search

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Spoon Unit, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

if you query on LCD you find nothing because LCD is too short? That perhaps ought to be tweaked in the forum software as LCD is actually quite pertinent, regardless of its shortness.

mike01hu and Pierce like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I shortened the minimum word to 3. Should work better now

Spoon Unit likes this.
  3. Spoon Unit

Thanks Mike. Bizzarely a query for

lcd issues

still seems to come up without a good pointer to what anything related to LCDs?

Search for LCD not working and you don't find the post that's actually got that title. If we want people to stop using G+, this is crucial.

[​IMG]

4. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Do you know of a thread specifically that has talk about LCD issues. Maybe this is the only thread relating to lcd issues. The only other place I saw people ask questions were the shoutbox.

5. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

LCD should be found in this forum post, since "contrast" as the search term comes up with LCD in the same sentence in the search result

6. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

you're right. interesting. The searching is a little odd....

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sorry the forum's not perfect. We're still trying to figure out what all's needed and sometimes you can't predict stuff like this till it happens. The default search just is kinda lack luster I'd need the gang to buy a new one.

Let me try dropping the minimum word length to 2 for now. If nothing else google does index the forums so just add Site:forum.e3d-online.com to your search and you'll only get results from here. Sucks but at least it works, unlike G+

Looking a bit more closely it depends on the MySQL minimum word length, which is typically 4. Probably need to purchase a better one

#7 Mike Kelly, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  8. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

A 4 letter minimum search is pretty near standard in forum software. As Mike mentioned Google will index the site anyway soon so that's probably the best option.

9. Spoon Unit

Don't apologise for the forum Mike. I wasn't having a go. I was just stating an issue and need. I'm not complaining about it, so please don't feel you have to defend it.

Perhaps we could plug in a better search engine?

You probably already queried for this, but if it's as simple as changing the MySQL minimum word length, there's some info on that here:

I'm not clear on how to use the "site:" prefix to alter search. Are we talking about the search box here or directly on Google? Could you screen shot perhaps a search for "LCD not working" showing Google finding this post?

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

See here:
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-15 um 09.53.59.png

Problem seems that Google only indexes every few days. The post you mentioned seems not to be in the index yet...

11. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

So there's a reason there's a 4 letter limit on every forum search ever ands its mySQL not the forum software;

Do not meddle in the affairs of source files, for they are subtle and quick to anger...

12. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

We use elasticsearch (based on lucene) and it is fantastic. Now there is a nice docker for getting it up and running in 5 minutes. V5 is going to come out with its own docker like engine and an integrated feature to make a storm/bolt like functionality. The great thing of lucene instead of mysql for searching text, is that it is fully preindexed and you can use all sorts of sophisticated search ideas like nearness (LCD within 3 words of contrast, etc)

13. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

E3D is happy to stump up the cash to improve search if there is a plug-in that solves the issue.

Having effective search is really important to making the forum a useful place to find help and solutions, so if it can be improved we'll do it.

TstarkEngineering likes this.