Frame files

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Miasmictruth, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where the current frame files are? I spent the better for of the day modeling up the bed section only to realize the DXF files at least for the bed are different then what is actually on my bigbox, I think they may be an early revision.

#1 Miasmictruth, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

3. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I have my own versions of all frame components that include a lot of changes and fixes. Honestly I don't like either version of the Z-platform from the kits. If you don't mind explaining what you're trying to do, I can problem help you out

4. Miasmictruth

I am redesigning the entire frame for 3030, I was just trying to insert the current bigbox bed, basically trying to make a straight upgrade. Once I finished I plan on redesigning the bed to aluminum and the y axis to rails. I will release the first version soon I hope, spent all night trying to get the stupid joints and rigid groups to obey.

Bigbox 2.0.png

Oh and in version 2 I want to allow for a 200x300 bed and 300x300

5. Ephemeris

In that case you can use either my EphBox 2 or 3 Z-platform. The v2 is cleaned up, eliminates the leveling ziggurats and laser cut spacers, replacing them with standard M3 threaded spacers. This makes leveling a one handed operation using just a hex key.

[​IMG]

Alternatively you can use the v3 which has the same features but is for the custom Tr10x2 leadscrews and Delrin nuts I had made by ScrewTech.

[​IMG]

Minimum order on the Tr10x2 leadscrews would be qty.5. If you're in the UK Old Tafr was thinking about get a set made so perhaps you could go in with him.

#5 Ephemeris, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Miasmictruth likes this.
  6. Miasmictruth

Looks good, I definitely like your version of leveling better! By any chance did you design it in fusion360? If so you can share the z axis and I can make a version with your Z assembly.

Those corners, did you get that milled out of aluminum too? I can't tell if those are tooling marks or layers. If you don'y mind my asking what did your frame cost?

7. Ephemeris

My frame drawings are in Ashlar Graphite and the printed parts are Ashlar Cobalt. Both are fine programs even if not super popular. I can usually export things to work for most folks.

The Z-bed corner spacers are printed. They (and the Z-chain anchor) are my own design though because I went to 20 mm spacers instead of the original squirrely 23 mm spacing.

A local fab shop, Valley Precision, waterjet cut everything from 3/16" 6061. They were super reasonable coming in for under $600 INCLUDING the aluminum. I could get additional ones made but shipping might be pretty painful if you're not within driving distance of Virginia.

8. Miasmictruth

Hmm never heard of those programs, what file formats can you export in I know fusion can import a lot of different kinds?

I don't think I would go with the whole frame cut from aluminum, the 3030 I think will be nice, it will take some effort to get everything trammed in but It think it will work well and be very solid once it is. For the bed though not sure I do like your design, not sure how appropriate extrusion would be for the bed.

If E3D's new motion system comes in affordable enough I may abandon this quest, its pretty awesome. I was able to see in at MRRF2018, however the down side is I like to tinker and is amazing as it is, it doesn't leave a lot of tinker room.

9. Miasmictruth

I have been thinking that I may try to leave room in final version of this design to incorporate tool changers. I have a lot of interesting ideas for it. The tricky part will be getting the Y drive system out of the way for it, I have a couple ideas for that. This is another reason I want to stick to 3030 as it will be editable.