Full Bed

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Spoon Unit, May 6, 2016.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Nice print chewing up almost the full printable bed size on a dual. 64 new pegs for the peg board. 3 hour print. eSun Red PLA. 0.6 nozzle. 0.4mm layer height. 7 layers. Currently thanking the mesh-leveling gods.

2016-05-06 09.31.32.jpg

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Cute little fellows! I assume this is with Volcano?

3. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Did you get a photo of the first layer?

Since I started mesh levelling I often wonder whether, when there's variation in layer 1, there's some patchiness in the borosilicate.... But it's highly likely to be my erratic calibration. Sort of looking for a dataset to clarify.

4. Spoon Unit

No, I took the Volcanoes off when I found I couldn't do dual extruder printing with them. I really wanted to experiment with dual nozzles. The titan may change that if the speed of the filament can be increased sufficiently to avoid re-melt on the extract phase of the ram purge.

mike01hu likes this.
  5. Spoon Unit

Sorry no. I was probably asleep before I completed layer one. I think I know what you mean though. I've had a phase a while back where the first layer would look bad. It appeared is if the edge of the line just laid would peel away. In the end, I fixed that by controlling extrusion amount and nozzle height for layer 1. I was impressed with @JohnEsc first layer print image a while back after he fitted the Titans. A squashed first layer is always going to lead to a little bit of a mess, so there's always that to consider too.

6. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

7. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

Now that's a successful print! I've noticed prints of lots of tiny things can become a nightmare real quick if you're not available to hover over it every few minutes. As far as Titans you mentioned @Spoon Unit that wasn't me. Still waiting on my upgrade kit but not in a rush, still a lot to learn.

8. Spoon Unit

Yeh - a full bed of prints can be horrific. It really depends on the nature of the model. These have a pretty large surface area and I connected them to the bed well (first level @ 95%) just to be sure. Went to bed, woke up and that was what greeted me. Shouldn't need any more of those suckers for some time.

mike01hu likes this.
  9. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

Sounds like rocket science! I love this stuff! :D

10. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

How are the pegs preforming, have any shots of them in action? Lol

I have peg boards so these could be very handy.

11. Spoon Unit

12. Miasmictruth

Nice! Do that feel pretty solid or like they are going to fall out if you look at them funny.

13. Spoon Unit

The design shape means they actually hook just behind the board at the top, so they're held by friction. The more weight on them, the more hold. Tiny print, so print one off. You may need to resize for your board to get the space between top and bottom holes just right.

14. Miasmictruth

I guess what I meant is do they hold well when you go to take a tool off or do they resist a bit, I hate it when the hook fall off unless your super careful.

15. Spoon Unit

I guess that's a question for how well your tool fits over the hook. Some of mine are super tight and I really should redesign the hook to give different size options (or drill slightly larger hole into the tool). For the vast majority though, the work well, the don't stick, and they have no intention of falling out. The key is getting it sized well for the holes you have. Will take you about 5 minutes to print one and cost about 2 pence in materials.

16. Miasmictruth

True, mostly its getting the time to play, will try them out as its they sound pretty good :).

What I was thinking is in the future if there is a way to add a levered barb for the bottom that way it would take a little effort to remove them. Not suggesting you do that if they fit firm that's probably good enough. My store bought metal hooks drive me nuts with the falling off the peg board if your not careful lol. Some of them have a black plastic piece that inserts horizontally to hold them down but that too generally is barely secure.

17. Spoon Unit

Tricky. You'd need the bottom pin to be something you inserted after the top was already in and solid. This would need to have a kink in so that as it pushed through it kinked to leave a straight at the front. The front would then need fastening with a bolt head.

18. Miasmictruth

What I was thinking is if there was a way to barb it so you could say lift up on the peg and swing it free would give it a little more stablity

sorry for the crude paint drawing
    Peg Board Bracket.png

19. Spoon Unit

Certainly looks worth a stab. A slightly thinner piece of plastic will happily bend a little, and would catch behind after pushing in and popping back up. I'm not quite sure how I processed that design, but I have a feeling it wasn't pure OpenSCAD, but a converted STL. It was one of the first few things I printed on the M3D and those prints looks horrible now compared to the smoothness of the BB. I'll dig it out when I next have some spare cycles, parameterize it a little, and serve it up on Thingiverse.

Miasmictruth likes this.
  20. Miasmictruth

Cool :) if I get some time I may experiment with it myself