IN DEVELOPMENT Fully watercooled Hemera

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by mebs, Sep 30, 2020.

1. mebs

mebs Member

Good morning everyone,

My Hemera always showed extrusion errors, probably caused by heat creep. It might work fine on an open frame build, but as soon as the temperature around the extruder gets a bit higher, there are some problems. The filament clogged the heatbreak and the print failed. I print usually Extrudr PETG and Extrudr Greentec Pro, but other filaments behaved similar.

Fitting a 40x40x20 Sunon Fan helped a bit, but the heatsink still was hot af when I touched it. Probably something around 70 °C to 80 °C after a half day of printing with a chamber temperature of around 50 °C.

I quite like the concept of the short, well constrained filament path and the compact footprint of the extruder, so I reverse engineered the original heatsink and designed a water-cooled version.

After a few iterations I finally got what I wanted, fast and reliable extrusions in an enclosure. The heatsink is milled out of solid aluminum. Was quite a task on the 3-axis CNC. With the fittings it is only around 8 mm longer than the original one with the Sunon fan and it stays cool to the touch, even after many hours of printing. I probably could use shorter fittings. Its nearly fully plug and play, the only thing I had to swap where the 22 mm screws. I fitted slightly longer 30 mm ones.

The heatsink is still a prototype, so the fit of the front plate and the finish of the whole assembly is not perfect. Its not a final product, just a showcase what could be and what is possible. But for that it works perfect without major issues.

In the next weeks I will probably do some temperature measurements at my university. I would like to know how high the temperature next to the heatbreak is. I’ll keep you updated.

Greetings from Black Forest, Germany
    Benny

Attached Files:

Johnnythefridge likes this.
  2. MegaObi

MegaObi Member

This looks amazing! Waiting on updates...

mebs likes this.
  3. Tal_Raindel

Tal_Raindel New Member

Is it possible to get the CAD file for building it?

4. mebs

mebs Member

Good morning,

long time no see, but here it is – the final version of my watercooling kit for the hemera. Precisely machined and anodized, pared with genuine Festo push fittings and fully plug & play.

Due to the current situation, it took quite a bit longer than I expected but should be shippable in the next three to four weeks. I will keep you updated on that.

If you have any questions, just ask. I will try to answer them asap.

Wish you a great start into the new week!

Benny

0140.jpg

5. EvilWiffles

EvilWiffles Member

Are you planning to sell these? I've been looking into watercooling my Hemera because I've been experiencing issues with heat creep printing enclosed as well. Btw, would the stepper be adding to the heat or would the contact between the heatsink and stepper be to minimal to make a difference?

mebs likes this.
  6. mebs

mebs Member

Hi EvilWiffles,

yes, I'm going to sell the cooler. It will be available in a shop here in germany.
    Where are you from?

In one of the first prototypes I discovered a heat nest at the back of the heatbreak, facing the motor.
    This is why the contact points between the motor and the heatsink are now arranged in a way that the heat of the motor doesn't heat up the backside of the cooler in the place where the heatbrak is. There are no heat nests anymore and the cooling performance does not decrease with a hot motor. However, the size of the contact area where it doesn't affect the cooling of the heatbreak is quite large. So the frontplate of the motor gets cooled aswell. This is important if you operate in an hot environment, otherwise the chance of skipping a step increases.

Hope I've been able to answer your question.

7. EvilWiffles

EvilWiffles Member

I'm located in the US, specifically Kansas.

8. ov_darkness

ov_darkness Member

Hi,
    @mebs I'd like to buy this modification.
    I'm based in Poland.
    Please give me some details in PM.

9. mebs

mebs Member

Good morning,

the Hemera WaCo Mod is now available in presale. If someone of you likes to have the mod, thats you chance to get one cheaper.
    It will be shipped out at the 29th of march. Maybe a bit sooner.

https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/mebs-Hemera-WaCo-Mod-EN

Shipping to the US ist at this time unfortunately not really possible.

If you have some further questions, feel free to ask.

Have a nice weekend
    Benny

#9 mebs, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  10. Laurens1994

Laurens1994 New Member

Hi Mebs,

Is it also possible to get a version for the Hemera Revo?
    That would be great. As far as I know is only the fitting for the Heartbreak/nozzle different and the ring to clip on the spring for the heater.

Kind regards from the Netherlands,

Laurens

11. EMAB

EMAB New Member

Hey @mebs
    Greetings from Brazil!

I was looking for the STEP files but unfurtunately they are no longer available on the website. Is there anyway you can make them available again? I was really hopping to get your design on my high chamber temp ender 3.

Much appreciated,
    Eric