Future production/support/spares

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Dr Jeep, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

also kraken :)

2. Christian Riesen

Christian Riesen Active Member

I would like to have a rough time window on this.

@Sanjay and @Greg Holloway this might be for you two: Can you give us a range of when you think we can order again? Just saying that you aim at 2 - 3 months from now would be perfectly fine, even if you can't 100% keep it, but it would give me (and others wanting to buy one) a window when to check back on this.

PS: I understand your reasoning and applaud your move. Keep on going strong.

Leanid Raichonak likes this.
  3. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

I will try and post some s3d pics tonight.

4. Montague Flange

Montague Flange Well-Known Member

Will ti have an enclosure so we can use ABS

5. EASI3D

EASI3D Well-Known Member

Thanks, I've been using 240 Nozzle and 80 bed, No Fan, with some slight warping around the edges, but a large part completely shattered the glass bed after cooling, so have been trying to use a screen protectors, however even with a higher temp 85/95 it will not stick!

Tom De Bie likes this.
  6. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Bed should be at 120 for ABS.

7. EASI3D

EASI3D Well-Known Member

Ill have to try it at 120, but FormFutura recommend 80ish

8. Mark Curry

Mark Curry Well-Known Member

I use their ABS and 100 degrees should work... their filament seems to prefer slightly less hot. As beds are not all measured evenly I would push it up a but if it still doesn't stick to 110-120. Other ABS materials I print at 120-130

9. EASI3D

EASI3D Well-Known Member

Thanks, what about cooling, I've never used a fan with ABS

10. Mark Curry

Mark Curry Well-Known Member

Avoid cooling at all costs, due to high shrinkage, ABS cooling is out. You want to use the side panels of the BB and possible some top cover to get best results. Temperature stability is paramount, typically ABS like to be in a warm to hot chamber with around 30 C temps.

If some of the new blends such as TitanX from Form Futura was less expensive I wouldn't even bother with ABS.

11. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

*sees thread update, hopes for cool new dual head system, cries*

eca and Proto_BB like this.
  12. Hans C.

Hans C. Well-Known Member

Typical off-topic thread bloat (says me, adding to it). ;)

13. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Get off my lawn!!

*oops*

14. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I went for Pro for the KS and held out until the dual was fully developed. Occasionally I have felt I am missing out, nearly took the leap when titan/hybrid came out. Now it looks like I need to hold off again as dual carriage looks really interesting and the new setup will be less prone to sag, even with the current linear rod dimensions.

15. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

My guess is you will need to buy the hydrid upgrade anyway (without printed parts, which are optional), as it contains the extra hotend and the 2 titans, it does not contain anything that would no longer be required after this upcoming upgrade

16. eca

eca Well-Known Member

I think it is really mean that they throw this upgrade out there and then just sit back and watch us drool over this and laugh at us....
    I think I might sell my BigBox and just buy the new M3d Pro, at least then I won't be tempted to buy the upgrades that are available and just think I get what I paid for whenever I have a failed print or the bed is just too small for that big print that I wanted to do...

17. Dr Jeep

That being the case it makes even less sense for them to withdraw the old upgrade kit ?

18. Dr Jeep

I'll pass on that M3D. Some interesting innovations (like the amount of sensor feedback) and doing what 2D printers did years ago and moving from Stepper Motors and relative positioning to what looks like geared motors and absolute positioning. But that hardware doesn't look at all DIY friendly and with closed source (afaik) firmware. I mean just look at all the development done by a wider community (well mostly Alex :) ) around the BB and imagine how hard that can be when the plans and the software are all closed.

I'd say if you want a machine that is that much of a black box then I'd buy something that has already established its capability/reliability and from a company you think are going to be around to support it.

mike01hu likes this.
  19. eca

eca Well-Known Member

Actually, I love the way the BB is going. Seeing it transform into exactly what I was wishing for in a dual system is just amazing to me. Apparently great minds think alike.
    I don't in anyway want to rid myself of my BB, and if I did want a black box system I would get the Zortrax (amazing quality printers) in addition to this. The BB is still a great printer for the money, especially with all the great minds working on it behind the scenes to improve it. Thank you all by the way for all your help with improving this machine.
    I can't wait to unlock my next step, the Raspberry Pi that has been sitting dormant in my printer waiting to be brought to life. I was wanting to first get mine running reliably before tackling the next unknown for me. And I think I am ready now for that next adventure.

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

It is all a matter of what you want to do with your printer.
    Most people here wanna print AND develop and improve their printer to customise it for their individual needs. Some add gimmicks, some contribute with great ideas.
    If you just wanna print parts this may not be a good printer for you, then I would have chosen a Zortrax too...

Chris Toast and mike01hu like this.