Future production/support/spares

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Dr Jeep, Aug 23, 2016.

1. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

2. eca

eca Well-Known Member

Maybe Richard Horne could help out here as he has a Sigma that he has been working with for almost as long as he has had a BigBox.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Still the option using the Sigma firmware. Being a Marlin fork it is available too.
    I didn't have a look how much they changed it and how fixed to a certain hardware it is...

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok a first look into the firmware shows that there seem to be only two boards compatible which does not mean others won't work. Maybe the firmware just has been tested on those. It is the BCN Sigma board and the Megatronics V3 board... These boards you can choose in the config...

5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont think the boards are anything special by the looks of it, they just need enough connectors for everything applicable. For one of them (Mega v3) they re-purpose the Z-max pin as the Z2 end stop. I think they just have the switches for all of the automatic calibration of offsets but underneath the hood they are just using M218 to set the X/Y/Z offsets:

https://github.com/BCN3D/BCN3DSigma-Firmware/blob/master/Marlin/Marlin_main.cpp

Code:
    #ifdef DUAL_X_CARRIAGE
    if(code_seen('Z'))
    {
    extruder_offset[Z_AXIS][tmp_extruder] = code_value();
    }
    #endif

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Depends how much they removed from the original Marlin. If it is just config and PINs it should not be too complicated to run it on a RUMBA... It should have enough drivers and PIN for all you need.
    And we don't wanna run a Sigma clone we want to run the BB hardware and just use the firmware optimized for the dual X carriage...

7. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Looking at their github repos, there are references to dual X axis in the changelog.

See this commit, https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Firmware/commit/874abd51b1882f9c52defe45a3fa5f4c9e8eb597 and the changes made to src/ArduinoAVR/Repetier/Printer.h.

Though also there doesn't seem to be as much active development going on, and I'd be worried that Repetier will do what they did to the host software and just decide one day, once it is good enough that it's closed source now (though mostly I think that was fuelled by some GPL violations by printer manufacturers). I have no interest in ending up on closed source firmware as I think there is too much innovation going on to trap yourself to the will of one manufacturer.

mike01hu likes this.
  8. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

The demand for dual independent X carriages was low when we polled early Duet WiFi users, but that was before the teaser announcement of dual carriages for the BigBox earlier in this thread. The Duet WiFi has been so popular with BigBox owners that I expect the demand for dual X carriage support in the firmware will increase substantially and it will move up the priority list.

Driving the 6th stepper motor will require an expansion board. The DueX5 design is complete and prototypes are about to be ordered. We are accepting expressions of interest on the Duet WiFi forum from users who would like to buy pre-production boards, just as we did for the Duet WiFi.

We recognise that not everyone needs as many as 5 extra drivers, so when we go to full production we plan to sell a cheaper cut down version as well, probably with 2 drivers.

Another possibility for providing the 6th driver is to use a cheap Pololu type driver for one of the extruders, mounted on a piece of stripboard and connected to the expansion port. There are one more two users doing this already for driving mixing hot ends.

9. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I don't have a BigBox but I do have a single head dual nozzle printer, so I will comment on your #3 and "anything else".

Ooze from the unused nozzle has never been a problem for me. On a tool change my printer retracts some filament from the old nozzle and sets its temperature to the standby temperature (I use 150C for PLA). It then heats up the new nozzle from standby to active temperature and resumes printing. This should work well with dual X carriages too.

The main issue I have with my 2-colour prints is that when the non-printing nozzle crosses filament that has just been laid down by the printing nozzle and is still soft, it leaves a mark even though both nozzles are at exactly the same height. The best I could do was to increase the separation of the two nozzles to reduce the incidence of this happening. Dual carriages will avoid this problem, and I think that is its main advantage.

10. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

This is why I gave up on the BB dual and only use the FelixPro1 as dual ... a dual independent carriage as well as the prusa solution are also interesting. Looking forward to both (even if on prusa I go quad)

11. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

The current dual 1.1 and the old 1.1 had a simple solution to fix the scratching problem with the o rings
    You should also consider adding support to run the two carriages at the same time to create 2 identical prints, like the stacker does

#151 Falc.be, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Christian Riesen likes this.
  12. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Good idea!!

13. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about how to implement dual carriages in RRF last night and I came to the conclusion that with one small wiring hack, RRF can already support dual independent carriages. The hack is to connect the two X endstop switches in series, assuming NC switches. Everything else can be done in the homing files and the tool change files. It would also be possible to define a tool that prints 2 identical copies of one object.

Despite this I will add official support for dual carriages in the not too distant future.

14. Mark Curry

Mark Curry Well-Known Member

I am super keen to see this happen Dave.

PsyVision likes this.
  15. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Looks like your message got truncated. What was the simple solution?

I didn't have a print cooling fan on that printer, and it's occurred to me that having one would almost certainly have reduced the problem.

16. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Any updates might be jumping the gun with my question sorry lol.

Just curious if filastruder will be distributing kits for the US?

17. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

The files will be released some time before there any upgrade kits are made available as there is a 8-10 week lead time on the mirrored Titans.

For those of you who want to get in early when we release the files you'll need two NEMA 14 (~34mm length) motors to drive the X-Axes. Don't ask me for specs as I don't have any and we do not stock them at this time. You'll need an extra drag chain too, I will try and get those online shortly. The other parts include an extra pulley, more grub screws two more LM8LUU bearings and all the related fixings. lastly you will need to have moved the IR sensor to the bed (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1531536) the new system uses a MBL process and has no mounting for the IR sensor on the head(s).

Please remember this is still in development but the major designs have been completed. At this stage we are checking backwards compatibility and functionality. The image below was taken yesterday afternoon, the right Titan is an SLS prototype mirrored Titan.

2016-10-11 16.39.28.jpg

Thomas Kamsker, R Design and Alex9779 like this.
  18. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks really good Greg! That's some mad wiring :)

The fan mounts look good and as though they should be effective (I found the hybrid fan shroud not as good as the original blowers).

Are the grubs M4? For the belts I guess.

#158 PsyVision, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  19. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway what about the electrics? can it use the standard controller board that came with the KS Dual kit or does it require a different controller? If it requires a different controller which one?

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I assume they didn't change the electronics so it is still the RUMBA board but because you run a second X motor you need an additional driver...