G-Code for Leveling Z-Axis Lead Screws

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by veng1, Mar 12, 2016.

1. veng1

veng1 Member

There was a question in the G+ on g-code to be used for leveling the z-axis. At this point, I'm using Pronterface, so I created a button that moves right and left while giving the height of the bed. Then, with power off to the motors. the lead screw can be adjusted until the reading is the same on both sides. This macro does not set the y-axis because I want to be able to measure in the middle and at the extreme and minimum y locations but it could be easily changed to do that.

button 8 "Z SLIP" /c "Blue" slip

macro slip
    G1 X2 Z10 F9000
    G30
    G1 X190 Z10 F9000
    G30

Be sure to turn power to the motors off and watch the axis that you are not turning. If you turn one axis too quickly, I've seen back EMF go through the other driver and cause that one that you are not moving to go up or down. Often, I just hold one steady and turn the other one.

2. veng1

veng1 Member

BTW, if you want to do some new coding, the Rumba has a spare driver that could be installed to automate leveling the z-axis. I doubt it is worth the trouble.

If there were 2 spare drivers locations, then 3 lead screws could be used to fully level the plane automatically.

3. xreymason

xreymason Member

Doesn't this only work if you have the USB port connection to your BB? They decided not to give those out, sadly, if you got a RPI upgrade like I did. And even if Octoprint can do this too, I wouldn't know since I can't get mine up and running.