G-code scripts, settings and hacked firmwares for the BigBox

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Alex9779, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I restructured the repo, splitter into three. One for only Marlin, one for Dual and one for Pro.
    If you are interested go to my Github profile and select the correct repository, the links of this post may not be working anymore!

I just started to make my own start and end scripts for the BigBox and S3D as Gists as a repository on Github:
    https://gist.github.com/Alex9779 (removed them in favor for the settings repo)
    https://github.com/Alex9779/BigBox-Settings (S3D Profile Direct Link)

I created a direct Marlin fork, currently on RC5 (RC4 also still available at least for some branches if you're not so keen) with two three four branches for the BigBox Dual and Pro so far.
    One branch (BigBox_Dual) with the stock settings and another (BigBox_Dual_Geek) with additional options and tuned settings.
    One branch (BigBox_Pro) with the stock setting and another (BigBox_Pro_MeshBedLeveling).
    I also created releases for the two three four branches with precompiled firmware files if you don't wanna compile yourself here.
    See here for a guide how to compile and flash the firmware, if you have OctoPrint connected to your printer and want the very easy way use this and point the updater directly to the link for your desired firmware file on the release page.

This will not be updated anymore and removed in the near future because I wanna maintain the direct Marlin fork!
    There is also a fork for the Dual firmware up on Github with my fix included for the initial second extruder rotation problem and some other stuff:
    https://github.com/Alex9779/BigBox-Dual-Marlin/
    Choose the branch 'master_Alex97779', the 'master' is the upstream master...
    This is RC3 for the Dual!
    This will not be updated anymore and removed in the near future because I wanna maintain the direct Marlin fork!

I am planning to make sophisticated FFF profiles for S3D using the drop down menus to have a quick pre-selection of settings but setting everything right for the chosen options like filament, quality and extruders.
    See above for the repo with the settings...

I did this for my UM2 and I have a Git repo on Github with the settings and scripts but this is outdated at the moment...

I am planning to do this for the BigBox too but it is not ready yet... Will post when something changes so...
    Did it...

#1 Alex9779, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Looks nice. Just one question: what does the hostnames.sql script do ?

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

This is not BigBox related. It is for the PowerDNS running with MySQL back end. The SQL updates the tables for the use of the second file in the Gist a PHP script for dynamic DNS updates...

4. goose117

goose117 Member

Good deal, I went through the changes, 1 question:

What does LED_PIN control, and what is the effect of changing it's pin

#define LED_PIN 6

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

It generally the PIN you have LEDs connected to. With M42 Px you can control any PIN X on the board but when you omit the Px it defaults to the LED PIN. So you can say M42 S255 is LEDs on and M42 S0 is LEDs off. That's just for convenience. I could also have left that out and use M42 P6 S255 and M42 P6 S0 but I did it...

6. goose117

goose117 Member

Ah, got it, for convience, Didn't know you could toggle I/O's with the G-Code, Neat.

7. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

@Alex9779 I've just loaded up your profile to try it. I've adjusted my tool offset and set the temperatures i want. when it goes to do the initial dock after homing it always misses and hits off to the right of the dock...

Sarah Nicholson likes this.
  8. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Change it to have T1 first. For docking with X70 T0 must be enabled.

9. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

So under Layer, Primary Extruder is Extruder 1 (Right) ?

10. Kick2box

I don't use S3D. Primary Extruder normally should be T0. I meant: always leave the script with T0 enabled before docking.

11. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Well that's what I've done.

12. Kick2box

Then docking with X70 normally should work. Take a look into the gcode, there must be an unattended switching to T1 then.

13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Didn't test the right script yet. Maybe S3D inserts something I missed it I made mistake. I tried to always end use T0 in the scripts for moving so it should be safe normally. Are you using Extruders 1 (right) only from the drop down?

14. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

No I was trying a dual print. I imported it, changed some temperatures and then printed a dual colour object and it collided

15. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Can't check at the moment. Sorry. Will have a look in about an hour...

16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know the problem. Insert T0 before the G28 in the start script...

17. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll give that a try tomorrow. I'm printing a dual colour frog at the mo using Greg's profile which will take a couple of hours. LOL, I was, it's literally just gone wrong :(

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Updated the repo...

PsyVision likes this.
  19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Really sorry... Forget about that... I had that earlier when developed the scripts but really forget about it.
    I select T1 before to set the temps on the right and dual extruder option.
    I am not sure if this can be considered as a bug in Marlin or if this is by design but the homing is done for the selected extruder.
    So if T1 is selected then the system goes to endstops and sets this as X0 Y0 for the right extruder. So if you then select T0 and move the coordinates are wrong.
    I am only printing with the left. Didn't have time to dig into dual again after the LED and calibration stuff... And on the left you only work with T0 so no problem here...

PsyVision likes this.
  20. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

@Alex9779 Thank you, I've since added the T0 rather than get the whole new profile again. The profile is printing now with success.

I'm using just the right extruder. I notice that the profile shrinks the volume, I presume to the allowable space for a dual print? I wonder if when only using one extruder it can be a bigger volume? I don't know if you can modify that profile information using the extruder drop down?