Gantry Squareness?

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by garethky, Oct 13, 2019.

1. garethky

garethky Well-Known Member

I was looking at my gantry and the instruction and i have a question... in the past I have built CNC machines that have gantries and it is important that the gantry be square to the side rails, otherwise you get parallelograms instead of squares. Its something you try to measure and eliminate with mechanical adjustments and end stop switches per side rail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are 2 shots of either end of the gantry where it is supposed to meet the adjustable end stops. One end meets the stop and the other is ~4mm off. That looks wrong to me.

I've had a go at loosening all 8 of the bolts that hold the gantry to the bearing blocks and seeing of it can be persuaded to become square (this is how you do it with CNC routers). So far no luck.

Thought I would post here before I did any more drastic disassembly. Maybe I missed something?

(Also, keep in mind that my kit crossed the Atlantic ocean ✈️ and was treated with FedEx's finest of care so perhaps it experienced more G's than it really should have. The packaging was superb and up to the task from what I saw.)

Attached Files:

2. garethky

garethky Well-Known Member

Ok, solving my own problem: I was able to get it square by adjusting the belt tension. Those tensioners are able to get it square very accurately with small adjustments!