Gcode Extrusion Help

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Jmenafra, Oct 22, 2016.

  1. Jmenafra

    Jmenafra Member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2016
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    2
    Hey guys, I just got my printer up and running, BigBox Hybrid Titan. The Benchy printed great. Beautifully in fact. From that I tried using Cura to slice and print my own files, but when it began to print the extruder spun like crazy and the thing froze up on me. Seemed like it was trying to push a ton of filament through the nozzle.

    I took a look at the gcode, and for the Benchy, the E values for each line are around this:
    G1 X135.185 Y95.255 E0.0038
    G1 X135.187 Y95.252 E0.0001
    G1 X135.792 Y94.496 E0.0387
    G1 X135.794 Y94.493 E0.0002

    While the E values for my own files were orders of magnitudes higher:
    G1 X34.050 Y31.662 E0.18950
    G1 X34.730 Y31.261 E0.28423
    G1 X35.448 Y30.931 E0.37906
    G1 X36.195 Y30.676 E0.47378

    (Those are both from the first 10 lines of the gcode print section)

    Because Cura doesn't actually have the BigBox as a printer, I am using the Ultimaker Extended printer as it has a similar print-bed space. Clearly these E values are the reason for the fast spinning and slipping of my extruder, I have googled and can't seem to find how to change them, plus I don't want to mess too much with the gcodes without some more information.

    Has anyone run into this problem and if so how can I knock those values down a bit to be like the Benchy which printed beautifully. I am open to either changes within Cura itself or editing the gcode.
     
  2. Alex9779

    Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2,405
    Likes Received:
    731
    Hmmm did you change anything on he printer profile? I think all Ultimakers use volumetric E values because most of the material depending settings are not done in the slicer but have to be selected on the box. Volumetric extrusion is mandatory for this...
    For the BigBox you should use normal millimeter based extrusion... Or you activate it in your firmware... But I don't think anyone tested this with Marlin and the BB yet...
     
  3. Jmenafra

    Jmenafra Member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2016
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    2
    No I didn't change anything on the slicer. I got it to print once without this problem, but it was somewhat patchy and not the best print after a few layers. So I calibrate the extruder which changed my Esteps/mm from 417 to 809 (I think, printers off at the moment, but definitely in the 800s). Then tried to print it again and this spinning happened. I thought that maybe doubling the steps/mm could have caused it too, but it spun wayyyy faster than twice what it was extruding before. To put it in perspective you couldn't see the teeth on the extruder it was spinning so fast.
     
  4. Spoon Unit

    Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2015
    Messages:
    1,095
    Likes Received:
    322
    Pssst. Get a Simplify 3D license :) I seriously have never had to think once about any gcode issue with the BB. That license, as much as I'm not happy with the terms, was in my opinion a great purchase.
     
    mike01hu likes this.
  5. lance

    lance Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2015
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    9
    ive been using cura for my bigbox for months and it works perfectly. in cura click the add new machine and select other, then from the new list select custom. put in the bigbox values and its setup. you'll also want to put in start/end gcode which i can give you mine as ive tuned it very well over the last few months.

    this is for cura 15.04.6. Cura 2.3 just came out so im still testing it on our bigbox
     

Share This Page