Ghost Ship - First Hybrid result

Discussion in 'Show off' started by mike01hu, May 15, 2016.

1. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Well, my BB is now up and running, also with the Hybrid, and its very first offering has appeared using the supplied gcode on the build plate coated with PVA juice. In general the quality is very good but there is an issue that caused the distortion towards the back end. Lack of cooling in that corner due to cooling fan placement caused the edge to lift such that it was caught by the nozzle at each pass but, although it overcame the issue as the overhang became vertical, it still left a distortion; in fact, the whole side is a slightly different shape to the fan side! Also, the slight edge-lifting also came into contact with the second nozzle at the front; this was overcome by turning on the second nozzle heater so that the hot nozzle pushed its way across the boundary rather than catching it cold and unsticking the model. Needless to say, nozzle tramming is good, with less than 10microns difference, and it is difficult to get better with the squishing O-ring technique. In this case the crashing nozzle is the one that is slightly higher! I would suggest that you always heat the second nozzle if not in use to offset the issue; it may not be essential but is just a precaution.

One thing to note as well, is that the levelling process works well and the Z-axis can be seen and heard to adjust but it does raise an issue for dual machines in that the auto-levelling can push the build platform up such that it forces the model into the other nozzle. It's a very small adjustment but it does happen and emphasises the need for accurate build-plate levelling to minimise the amount of auto-adjustment during printing.

The Z-axis performance is superb on the stock bearings, with no banding at all on this small model, although there is a little ringing on X travel from the anchor hole on the non-fan side but it is very low amplitude. I am delighted with the first result and I have yet to fully dial in the machine, so it can only get better! As for the Hybrid, I have yet to commission the second extruder and load up the filament. You will notice that I have routed the wiring between the nozzles to gain as much of the X-travel I could. I know that @Alex9779 has redesigned the mount to minimise the effect as well but this has worked; this would be easier to achieve if the heater cables and sleeves were less bulky, so perhaps @Greg Holloway and Co. could think about this for the future. A little investigation on cooling will be done and may be just a need for intensity adjustment.

Am I happy? You betcha! :D

BigBox-Print-1.jpg Benchy-1.jpg Benchy-2.jpg

Attached Files:

Mike Kelly and JohnEsc like this.
  2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Looking good!

3. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Pretty spectacular print Mike.

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

It looks worse than it really is due to the lighting creating shadows; the real thing looks very good apart from the blemish caused by the cooling issue. The fan side is super but the first layer needs some attention as its over extruding. But hey, there's been no calibration of the extrusion yet, I was just too eager to get a result even if it turned out to be a failure.

5. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Agree something needs to be done with cooling, i printed a small part and the back side was perfect but the front is very very poor due to no cooling, what does not help is the angle of the fan sucking up that air from the heated bed also a poor design element. it really needs to be looked into if people plan on printing small things....

But great first print with it.....

mike01hu likes this.
  6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I had also problems with the print cooling. The fan is powerful so it should be possible to design an 'all around' cooling fan duct with only one fan...
    When I started with the hybrid I posted it here somewhere that now I have to print PLA with 100% fan... But there is still space for improvement...

7. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

A good looking box!

Most interesting all this talk about cooling on the 1.1.

One sided cooling just doesn''t seem a great thing to me and for some time have been rotating parts in the slicer to optimise the breeze from my 1.0 onto sensitive features.

Ultimaker have been straight up with their two metal fans and hotend shield for some time now. Then there's Richraps Starship Enterprise approach which is exceptional!

Where is this going and what can be done for the dual?

mike01hu and Stefan like this.