COMPLETE Greg's Bed IR Sensor Mount

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Chase.Wichert, May 27, 2016.

1. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

So I made one of these and installed it, it took about an hour to install it. It seems to work work, and gets one more thing off of the head.
    @Greg Holloway the one thing I noticed was that the one I printed the channel wasn't deep enough for all three wires, and it kept popping out so I just said screw it and have it just going around it. If it was deeper it probably would have worked fine. But so far I like it, I will give another update after a few prints to see how well it keeps the zero, hopefully forever!
    [​IMG]
    Sorry thingiverse cut off the image that I could link to. But there is a full image of this on thingiverse.

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:224184

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

It's a really good idea getting things "off the head".

Watch out though.

The Marlin Dev community is really warming up to delivering Automatic Mesh Bed Levelling where the print head will zip around the bed taking readings with the IR sensor in order to generate the mesh. And it will be able to do a LOT of points!

PsyVision likes this.
  3. Chase.Wichert

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Stefan and PsyVision like this.
  4. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Looking good. I printed one and the cables just fit inside the slot, it might be quite a close non-fit.

I have put a little bit of black tape directly above where the IR Sensor projects onto the Upper Support. I've not done any testing on the machine I'm building yet but I hope it should increase sensitivity.

I have added the STP file to thingiverse so you can edit it as you please (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1531536).

I know that Marlin have a manual bed levelling option, I hope they can still leave in the current method of mesh leveling along with the mentioned auto function. Mesh is definitely the way forward!

EDIT: Hah, I had already uploaded the STP and .123dx files

Mike Kelly likes this.
  5. Chase.Wichert

I think I may have been over extruding a bit which may have not let the top wire go all the to the top of the channel, oh well, lol it is installed and working so far with just the white acrylic.

6. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

hmm what happens when I install a mechanical switch in that bracket and leave the IR sensor on the head as z-probe?
    As far as I understand this IR sensor it does "only" set the z-endstop pin high(or low) when it hits the trigger point so "replacing" it with a micro switch should not be a problem.
    OK some Fw tweaking with the z-probe thing would be required and understanding the z-endstop to nozzle tip... maybe I try it :)