Gregs BigBox IDEX Titan Aero With Linear Rail

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by EASI3D, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Jaysen DAYDREAMn

Jaysen DAYDREAMn Well-Known Member

Finally grabbed the rest of my parts for this from e3d. printed and all the bits from Gregs thingiverse.
    I ordered bltouch and the updated carriage and bltouch mounts. am I missing anything? lol

Time to breath new life into the bigbox.

Does anyone have good config files for the rumba?

2. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

Am i the only person whose bed can't reach the nozzles anymore with a Titan aero?
    Don't think i've seen anyone mention this before (then again, it's been a while since i've last read this thread).

I'm missing about 3-4mm - easily fixable with some shimming i guess.

3. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

You're not the only one. I had to lower the bead bearings 5 mm in order to touch the bed again.

orcinus likes this.
  4. orcinus

Interesting, mine are already level with the screw-heads around them, and i’m still missing 4mm.
    I’ll have to switch to taller posts for the bed PCB, or shim them with a bunch of washers.

In other news, the TMC2100s made my Y axis even louder than before.
    I can basically choose between a super noisy Y (sensible current) or a silent, but overheating one (current upped so high the TMC2100 goes into thermal shutdown even during homing).

I’ve used them in an older build (ORDbot) years ago, and never experienced anything similar.
    Those long-stack NEMA11s heat up quite a bit too, regardless of peak current.

5. orcinus

Shimmed the bed with two M3 nuts per each post, works perfectly.

Onto the next issue... Does anyone have a working starting point for Marlin config for this setup they're willing to share?
    Also, i know this has been asked before, but... Any ideas on how to level the nozzles? Both heatbreaks are screwed all the way into the Titan Aero heat sink. There's about a full mm of height difference between them currently. If i unscrew one of the heatbreaks, it will be lose, as there's nothing to hold it in apart from being screwed in all the way (a set screw might be a good idea for future Titan Aero revisions).

So how the heck do i adjust the height? What am i missing here?

6. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

Update: not much really. I've had to step away from the bigbox due to other projects. Now those are finished and I'm needing to get back into it.
    I've got all my mechanical done. I have to triple check my electronic connections. Then I need to see if my config needs adjusting relative to the board inputs and outputs of the DuetWifi+duet5. Does the duex5 need a firmware update or is it just a slave to the Duetwifi ?

7. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

After some long stressful transition period at work I finally started to pursue this project again (I need to distract myself from the wait for the tool changer prototype). Progress is being made. Now to order some molex plugs...

8. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I know the feeling, unfortunately as work slows down my life outside of work is about to go crazy... I have had the x axis 80% finished for about 3 months now and haven't been able to touch it.

9. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfcjmzme3ivd7iz/20180712_190806.jpg

Finished the whole rail assembly with Molex plugs and everything, now to rewire the whole printer as it has become quite messy over time. After that's done, I don't want to see a crimp connector again anytime soon. Unless it is required for a certain tool changer project...

10. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Ok, so the machine is assembled and wired up. But I am slowly losing my mind here - the damn thing won't home!
    If I try to use a homex.g file as per the manual, it says "insufficient axes homed".
    When I do use M564 to unlock the movement of unhomed axes and also disable the movement constraints, instead of executing the homing script, ALL axes only move about 1cm in the opposite direction of the endstop switch and then weirdly enough it assumes the axis as homed.

If I move any axis via the touchscreen or the web interface, everything moves correctly, only when homing it behaves really really weirdly.

@dc42 any idea what to do about this?

Config and homing file attached. Also my BLTouch doesn't work properly and I have no idea why.

Attached Files:

11. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@mhe
    Here are my settings. I'ts not perfect yet, as I have to manually home the axes before every print (Homeall) but for the rest all is functioning.

Attached Files:

12. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your homing switches are reading as triggered when they are not triggered. Check the wiring of the homing switches, and your M574 command. Use M119 to read the state of the homing switches.

13. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

It never even comes to that - the switches themselves work fine (LEDs light up when pressed on the board itself). But when I push the "Home X" button for example no movement towards the homing switch even occurs, it just seems to do the moves that direct away from the switch but never the ones toward it, as in it simply skips the commands that would have the head go in the direction of the switch.

And that is already the behavior when I override movement constraints with M564 H0 S0 - if I don't do that it literally tells me it is unable to move an unhomed axis - ironically when I want to execute the homing macro. And that behavior is reproducible on all axes. On Z it doesn't even try to do it despite a BLTouch being wired up and configured correctly as far as I can tell.

I feel as if the board wants to troll me - it executes all movements perfectly fine when manually moving any axis but when I tell it to home it doesn't do it properly It is really odd.. Is there a way to wipe the thing clean and start with a fresh firmware install from scratch? I'd want to be able to rule out some kind of glitch due to the countless updates I did on the thing and it takes a LOT longer to boot up than it used to all of a sudden.

#333 mhe, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  14. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Have you tested your endstop switches and endstop configuration using M119, or not?

15. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

I just did and I figured out what my problem with the endstop was. A problem existed between keyboard and chair, it has been fixed. I had the endstop logic inverted by using the wrong S parameter for the M574 command, hence it thought the switches are active all the time, so when going "towards" the switch it immediately stopped because it thought it had already hit it at any given time. Now it all makes sense and thankfully nothing was damaged (except my pride a little bit maybe).

W1EBR.Gene likes this.
  16. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

I am finally doing my first print. A benchy, not very creative there. The side facing the print cooling fans looks perfect, the ones facing away are a different story...

17. Matt9150

Matt9150 Member

Just started ordering the parts for this great upgrade, but am unsure on the idler pulleys, please could someone give me info on the exact size.
    as i have a few different sizes. GT2 16 tooth pulley, but what bore diameter and height.
    Many Thank in advance for any help.

18. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

Did you ever get good config files for RUMBA?
    Most people seem to have migrated to Duet...
    I am looking for a good stable IDEX/RUMBA/MARLIN config.

19. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway
    Hello Greg, would you mind sharing good working config files for IDEX /RUMBA / MARLIN?
    I have messed so much with mine lately that its broken =(

20. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

You're best off starting fresh. I've not used marlin for a BigBox IDEX in over a year.