Gregs BigBox IDEX Titan Aero With Linear Rail

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by EASI3D, Sep 12, 2017.

1. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

I used these: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01LO0IGZU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    And I shimmed them with the plastic spacers that used to hold up the Rumba board inside the BigBox. Works brilliantly. You can print yourself new spacers should you need them but a Duet conversion is highly recommended for IDEX anyway.

2. Proto_BB

Proto_BB Well-Known Member

They can be shimmed with a cut down piece of teflon tube. That’s how I did mine. I shimmed both top and bottom of the idler pulley.

3. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

No worries, I got it working...
    U moved to Duet too?

4. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Yup, that and the toolchanger :cool:

5. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

You're such a tease! Release the printable files so we voluntary guinea pigs can start preparing dammit! :D

6. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

Omg... duet... what do you think of the upcoming duet maestro?

7. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

I just had my X motor start stalling and vibrating and it is really really hot. Ruined a 10hr print. Reduced the current from 800mA to 500mA, let's see if that helps or if I get layer shifts...

#347 mhe, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  8. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

Bleugh, starting to get layer shifts along Y. Totally random, always the same amount.
    Just noticed my linear rail slides rock along Y by what might be about the same amount...

Any ideas?

It's the slide that was linked to from Greg's thingiverse (ebay).
    I've noticed it had a bit of slack out of the box, i guess it got even looser over time.

Anyone know where i can get a genuine Hiwin in EU?

9. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Layer shifts don't necessarily have to have a mechanical cause. Is your Y axis free of play and non binding along the full travel range? Do you run enough amps on the Y axis stepper in the rear? I also put IGUS Drylins on the Y axis when I did the conversion and that made the machine a lot smoother also.

My recent layer shifts (X axis) were actually a broken wire and it got worse over time to the point when the X motor wouldn't work at all anymore. I only noticed after I had the motor replaced and the problem persisted. So checked the driver with another motor and cable and it worked, hence the cable was the only error cause left. Measurement confirmed a broken cable, even cutting off the plugs and measuring the wire directly would indicate a break in the wire. Replaced the wire and have printed flawlessly for approx 100hrs since that.

10. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I had some shifts that turned out to be associated with loose belts (re-tighten to the right pitch on twang), and a pulley who's grub screw was loose enough to allow it to work itself out of position (resulting in checking and retightening all grubs on the entire box).

mhe likes this.
  11. orcinus

This isn't my first rodeo. No, it's not the drivers. No, it's not the Y axis bearings, and no it's not the belt, nor the pulley.
    Checked all of that many times. Not to mention everything was fine before the switch to the linear rail.

The shifts are always the same amount, often in both directions (so i get a Z band that's shifted out, and back in, the same amount).
    And the amount of shift is very tiny, and seemingly perfectly corresponds to the amount of slack in the linear rail caddy.

12. orcinus

By the way, that particular linear rail seems to be designed for a load pressing down, not hanging off it.
    Its preload is almost non-existent when there's a mass hanging off it, as opposed to pressing down.

Interesting thing is, Marlin had a bug that caused shifts (for a lot of people) until very recently. Larger than the one i've described, and usually always at the exact same spot, as opposed to randomly/sometimes.

Was pretty confusing to deal with two causes of two different kinds of shifts at the same time, until i've eliminated Marlin's shifts (by downgrading to a version without the issue).

13. orcinus

Here's a vid.
    Turn on the sound and pump up the volume as far as it goes - it's easier to hear than see.

PS: And before someone says "your hotend is loose", no, that's not it. I get the same movement by holding just the block and rocking it back and forth, but it's way harder to demo it that way (and you dampen the sound).

14. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

What are your stepper amps settings for the Y-axis motor ? Mine are these:
    Y-Axis Wantai 42BYGH47-401A 1.8 52.0 N cm 1.5 amps 1.6 ohm, 2.8 mH

; *** Set stepper motor drive parameters
    M906 X400 Y750 Z800 U400 E300:300 I30 ; Set stepper motor currents (mA) and idle current to 70%

15. orcinus

I don't use a Duet.

I've tried literally everything, from 0.7 to 1.5.
    Stock Y axis Wantai that came in the original BigBox kit.

And again - if it were the current, or overheating, the pattern would be different, it would skip way more than a few microsteps, it would happen all the time, and it would've been happening before the switch to the linear rail.

16. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

H'mm, I just saw your vid. I'm not sure, but it look like if the block is moving slightly on the printed part of the Titan holder... (not sure how to describe it, but see picture below...)

[​IMG]

17. orcinus

Thought of that too, and i agree it might seem like it does, but no.
    Tightened everything, tried it off the rail.
    Plus, you can rock it by holding just the block too (it's just harder because, well, lever and hanging mass).

It's not just this block, both of them have the exact same slack.

Here's a photo of the shifts:

IMG_4717.jpg

18. orcinus

Here, this is without touching any part of the extruder:

(turn up the sound, at the block, the deflection is too tiny to be visible in the video, but can be heard nicely)

19. Matt9150

Matt9150 Member

Finially got my Idex Bigbox working with Duet but am having trouble centering the extruders to the centre bed when printing starts, they seem to start printing to the bottom left of the bed, any ideas!! where i look for this in the config.g, also has anyone got a working S3D FFF i can try. Thanks in advance

#359 Matt9150, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  20. K3LAG

K3LAG Well-Known Member

My config is a few pages back.