Gregs BigBox IDEX Titan Aero With Linear Rail

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by EASI3D, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice but for me that is a step back... I am always trying to automate as much as I can. When I want to print I want to print and not to do several manual steps. Get model, slice, upload to printer and print... And using an automated levelling gives me the best results for now...

AndyVirus likes this.
  2. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

Any Supports required?

3. AndyVirus

One X end underway, may have used a bit too much infill (40%) so any speed benefits of the ol Volcano have been negated by Wiggle infill :)
    Order both A Misumi rail and sliders and the ebay/china one so may have spare :)

Attached Files:

Greg Holloway likes this.
  4. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

No support required so far!

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok some numbers:
    for the right hotend on the left side you loose 29mm, for the left on the right side 20mm... Theoretically... In reality it might be a little more...
    So the dual printing build area shrinks by 49mm in X.

I must admit I am really tempted to switch again, the loss is not that much and being realistic I never use the whole area yet and don't think I will do so in the future. The stiffness and the mounting aspects seem much better with the rail than with my current design. Which works, is easy to cable but is well lets say complicated...
    But I want to upgrade the design a little. The idea is fantastic but I think I can add leveling of each hotend and of course fan ducts based on the principles of Chase...

potti5 likes this.
  6. Julian64

Julian64 Well-Known Member

Do you have a solidworks model of Gregs rail and the big bow restrictions all put together?
    If so I wonder if you would be keen to share it with me. Been learning solidworks since getting a big box and although good at making parts now have done very little with multiple part models. I would be interested in playing with it

Meanwhile both xends done. They printed well in pla with 30% infill and no supports. I did rather hold my breath with the large circular opening for the stepper as I've never printed something with a bridge like that without supports but can confirm it prints fine.

I can't really understand why the rail opening and the stepper motor support are not parallel though? About a ten degree angle. Can't get my head round that.

Still will continue on while waiting for my rail to arrive. The two new titan aeros that arrived yesterday are rather pretty though :)

7. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Did i do a mess up, care to elaborate?

8. AndyVirus

Getting there... Did not realise the NEMA11 Motors needed M2.5 bolts so off to Amazon!
    As for the ten degree angle, that is just on the top of the motor mount, the bottom of the motor mount is parallel with the rail.
    That is the china rail. Misumi one will hopefully arive before next weekend so will switch to that one as it costs 3 times more so better be 3 times smoother and quieter! :) China one seems perfectly usable though to the point of if i had not got impatient and ordered another, id cancel the second one but alas this rail made it from china to my door in 11 days. That was not what i had expected :)

Attached Files:

Chris Toast likes this.
  9. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

looks good, what material is it?

10. AndyVirus

Very Black MatX. Prints like a dream with no fan from a volcano at 0.25 layer hight with 0.4mm nozel

#30 AndyVirus, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  11. Julian64

Julian64 Well-Known Member

Nope you didn't mess up, just confused me with the sloping top, but then I am easily confused. Boxes arriving all over the place today :)
    The carriage drive motors look soo small.

Might need a little help with the wiring diagram when I finally have everything printed. Just doing the carriages now.

Was a little upset when the rail arrived in what looked like a single sheet of bubble wrap, but immediately took a dial to it and was pleasantly surprised how straight it is and how little run out there was moving a carriage from one end to the other about .12 of a mm!!
    That's pretty blood good for something thrown into the mail without any sort of protective box.

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I used the CAD model by Misumi of an equal rail which is 495mm long but yes, almost. I am missing a mirrored Aero Titan and just used my mirrored Titan to get the numbers.

With you yes, with everyone no, so PM me... And sign this 156 pages NDA please :D

13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok i gotta correct myself a bit...
    You will loose some Y build space too though you have a little more X than I previously said...
    Y loss for right hotend is a little more than for left because what I didn't see at first is that the nozzles have a little Y offset too, that way you gain a little more X because the extruder wheels are not on the same plane...
    For the moment I can't provide numbers but it is not much.

For Y I have to say that you won't have the loss if you move the motor outside of the case as it seems...

potti5 likes this.
  14. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

One question @Greg Holloway :
    BB IDEX Rail_1.PNG
    What are these wholes for? They go through the whole part...

Well forget it... They are for being able to screw the motor screws...

15. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

yup :)

Alex9779 likes this.
  16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok I did it, I decided to do it. But I ordered a Misumi rail right away...
    I think I will first do the rebuild and the order the stuff to convert to Aero, which is just the upgrade kit... With the normal hotend I should just get less Z height but thats ok...

17. AndyVirus

So you will be doing a longer fan duct and IR sensor mount? :)

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I will do an IR sensor mount but for first tests I will use XT or Edge anyway where I need not much cooling... Maybe... But as I know myself I will order the parts soon :D

AndyVirus likes this.
  19. potti5

potti5 Well-Known Member

and bltouch mount too ;)

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope... That one is retired...