Gregs BigBox IDEX Titan Aero With Linear Rail

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by EASI3D, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

2. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

I made heat sheild out of polished sections of aluminum Coke can on my old RepRap Huxley, that could be another option.

AndyVirus likes this.
  3. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

i have some of that at home... i think i have some kapton too thinking about it but either way ill mount the ir away from the hotend due to dust concerns

4. AndyVirus

Thanks! worst case i can just move it to under the bed but if i can leave it on the head from the get go id rather do that. expect pics over the weekend.

also @Greg Holloway How is the rail fixed in place? how have you done it? Into/through the rail? have not got it infront of me to look

5. K3LAG

K3LAG Well-Known Member

That's interesting. My BLTouch has been far more consistent than my IR sensor ever was. I wonder if you could have gotten a bad one or something. I'll probably mess with trying to create a BLTouch mount on the left side of the left carriage if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Most of my parts are here and just printed the Duet+Duex5 mount.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Normally you fix the rail with screws you screw into a base plate or something. The rail itself just has those sunken holes.
    I assume you just put a mit im the two outer most holes slide it into the carriage and the use screws with washers in that long hole from above...

7. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Put M3 screws and anti-vibration washers into the holes in the rail and use a socket cap screw and washer in from the top. You can also use Microbarbs instead of the nut and washer, which is what I did. I used a little superglue to hold the microbarbs in.

8. AndyVirus

Thanks! Just waiting for amazon same day delivery of gt2 16t idler pulleys as i missed that. I had assumed it would use the flanged bearings as per the other designs. Rtfm man, rtfm. :)

9. AndyVirus

Also found out what the white powder on the aero heatsink is... looks like the bearing in the titan body for the gear has failed... black grease all over it and the bolt, looks like it had been falling down and burning off on the heater which turns white when cooked (like a car with a cracked engine block or head)... luckily spares get sent with titans so can swap that out.

10. AndyVirus

Getting there.... Lost the Y endstop arm so having to print another. Sloppy as hell but thats because i forgot to change the steps per mm. Duh!

What milliamps should these motors be set to (DuetWifi)?
    X and U = 0.67a (Nema11) - https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/hybrid-stepper-motor/nema-11-bipolar-18deg-12ncm-17ozin-067a-62v-28x28x51mm-4-wires-11hs20-0674s.html?search=nema%2011
    E1 and E2 - 0.4a (Nema17) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072LVXVKW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_1867.JPG

Greg Holloway likes this.
  11. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Do you not set the current in the duet config file? If so they are 0.67A and 0.4A?

12. AndyVirus

You do and that is what i have done. I was just a bit confused as the Nema 17s have lower current/amps than the Nema11's so wanted some sanity. I have set the Nema 11s to 670ma and the nema 17 to 340ma (85% of max). I tried to set the Nema 11's to 85% (570ma) but was not enough. Skipping.

13. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Motor ratings are wizardry.......

AndyVirus likes this.
  14. AndyVirus

So from initial install I can achieve:

-13 to 275mm on X (15mm improvement over original direct idex)
    -40 to 220 on Y (no cooling fan and i have a Nema14 Y motor so thinner)
    Not tried U/X2 yet but looks like a bit more there too.

If the wiring sleeves were mounted slightly further back on U/X2 then tha would give another 10mm aprox on X and if the were mounted on the opposite sides then that would allow for approx 20mm more taking x upto about 295 useable on X.

Also if mods are to be made I would add cable tie holes on both back and front of the Y Carriage (could hide the right hand side cables at the back)

IMG_1869.JPG

Oh and the motor cables... If the Left Extruder motor can be mounted cable down instead of to the left facing the X motor, then there is another 5mm or so to be gained there too. On the Right the filament thumbscrew would hit the carriage so if non thumbscrew was to be used (hex tightener as per original titans) then a few mm could be gained there to. I like the thumb screws too much though. :)

Much quieter on X movements with the rail compared to the rods and LM8LUU's.
    Due to controlling the Z motors independently on the DuetWifi, Z is much quieter (and auto levelling is great with G32 after i have wiped down the bed and moved one side).
    Very happy so far but improvements to my wiring, cooling and clean up of my volcanos still needs to be done. Had some leaking due to heat break not being tight enough previously i still need to fix (has stuck on my sock). Not leaking anymore but that combined with leaking bearing oil had made it a bit unsightly.

#74 AndyVirus, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Alex9779 and Greg Holloway like this.
  15. AndyVirus

Also, just pre-empting the next mod, if your running more wires to extruders as part of this conversion, run a few more spare for whatever comes next such as this: https://duet3d.com/wiki/Duet3d_Filament_Monitor just incase. When i did the original idex conversion i ran an extra 3 wires to the right carridge incase i decide to have dual ir hight sensors at some point and compenstate bed per head. Just a thought.

Hugofitz likes this.
  16. Julian64

Julian64 Well-Known Member

Okay so all printing done, all ready to go, bits all arrived. Does anyone have an idiots guide or could point me to where I set the rumba up hardware and firmware wise for this?

17. AndyVirus

If you take a look in the original bigbox idex direct topic there is details there. I have moved to duet but i did have the original design running on rumba/marlin. When im back a a screen bigger than 5” ill see if i can find the link to the topic but should be easy to search for.

18. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Is the Misumi rail worth it over the Chinese ones? Is anyone able to provide the Misumi to non-corporates (me) in the UK?

19. AndyVirus

No idea is the Chinese one is better/worse than Misumi. I have a china one sitting on my desk if you want it. I am just waiting for a 3rd slider as a single bearing was missing from one slider which is not an issue but made one slider move slightly easier than the other that has a full set.

If you want a Misumi one I can order you one, worked out just under £80 and took about 7 working days to arrive from Germany but comes pre greased with lithium soap and packaged in a huge box vs the china one that came in a bit of bubble wrap and dry... again no idea if the china one is any worse than the Misumi. The rail seem flat and strait (to the eye) and the sliders are both identical size and colour to Misumi. The plastic ends on the Misumi ones seem to be fitted with more care, thats the only visible difference i can see.

#79 AndyVirus, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  20. Julian64

Julian64 Well-Known Member

okay I'm worried now both my sliders have missing single ball bearings and came like that . I assumed there needed to be a missing one.. Should it be a continuous line?