Gregs BigBox IDEX Titan Aero With Linear Rail

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by EASI3D, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

So with all belts under tension I get a kind of stick start effect across the rail? Is this normal while the motors are not powered? I am hoping to plug the boards in over the weekend. If anyone has a working Duet config I would be hugely grateful if they shared it!

2. potti5

potti5 Active Member

Here is some config get you to begin. Those is mostly alex config what he send other thread.

Attached Files:

Syko_Symatic likes this.
  3. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

Yes, i think it is normal of the Nema 11’s. I have that too which worried me but powered movements are fine.

I assume that moving the motors by hand generates a bit of electricity that then powers the coils which is then torque’y enough to stop the movment for a second... Just a guess.

Read somewhere these have some neodimium magnets in them too instead of regular...

All just crap plucked out of my head/memory

Ill try and remember to fire up my BigBox when home and provide the config I am using though my Y motor is a Nema 14 not the 17 that came with the bigbox, i think the currents are about the same but might need adjusting, also i am using 2 Indervidualy driven Z motors so watch out for that too.

#163 AndyVirus, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    daveyweaver and Syko_Symatic like this.
  4. Syko_Symatic

6D4EB6CD-B9EB-496E-96C4-68E7CF37664C.jpeg
    All cables installed! Just need to power it all on and spend the inevitable day figuring out why something doesn’t work! I am going to have to swap some things around it my current config as I have moved some motors on the board. Hopefully I can tidy the wires up a bit more (a few cable ties). Still really like the acrylic panels! Might have to get some done to cover the rest of it!

Greg Holloway, jfb, PsyVision and 3 others like this.
  5. JvdP

JvdP Well-Known Member

Really loving your BigBox Barebones edition @Syko_Symatic ! If I'm really honest with you, I think this is what BigBox should have been from the start. Both the electronics and motion system (the 2 systems that you fiddle with the most) are easily accessible. Great job.

I think it would be great if you'd put this stuff in a seperate thread... Maybe we should ask a mod?

Syko_Symatic likes this.
  6. Syko_Symatic

I can start a new thread. It’s almost finished so I can update it when it’s running. All the details can be there then.

Just printing the safety cover for the PSU and I should be ready to turn it on! Fingers crossed it doesn’t blow up!

#166 Syko_Symatic, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    JvdP likes this.
  7. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

... And another Bigbox-Idex-Titan-Aero-With-Linear-Rail has seen the light !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't say much about print quality, as I'm still in the calibration phase. But initial axis-tests ran successful. Also implemented the independent bed leveling.

Here's a part of my config.g:
    Code:
    ;     _______________________________________________________________________________
    ;               Stepper          Step Size   Holding   Max Current       Phase
    ;               Model            (degrees)   Torque     per Phase      Impedance
    ;     Extruders OMC 17HS13-0404S    1.8     26.0 N cm   0.4  amps   30.0 ohm, 37.0 mH new (2x)
    ;     X-Axis    OMC 11HS20-0674S    1.8     11.8 N cm   0.67 amps    9.2 ohm,  5.7 mH new
    ;     U-Axis    OMC 11HS20-0674S    1.8     11.8 N cm   0.67 amps    9.2 ohm,  5.7 mH new
    ;     Y-Axis    Wantai 42BYGHM809   0.9     40.0 N cm   1.7  amps    1.8 ohm,  4.0 mH
    ;     Z-Axis    Wantai 42BYGHW609   1.8     40.0 N cm   1.7  amps    1.5 ohm,  2.8 mH
    ;
    ;     DC42 recommends running steppers at 50% to 85% of their current ratings, he also
    ;     said setting current below 30% of stepper RATED current causes carriage jumping.
    ;     _______________________________________________________________________________

; Configure the axes
    ; 0 = X-Axis
    ; 1 = Y-Axis
    ; 2 = Z-Axis left(new)
    ; 3 = U-axis
    ; 4 = Extruder-1
    ; 5 = Extruder-2
    ; 6 = Z-Axis right (new)

; *** Stepper Polarity
    M569 P0 S1                               ; X-axis (Drive 0) goes backwards
    M569 P1 S0                               ; Y-axis (Drive 1) goes forwards
    M569 P2 S0                               ; Z-axis left (Drive 2) goes forwards
    M569 P3 S0                               ; U-axis (Drive 3) goes forwards
    M569 P4 S1                               ; Extr-1 (Drive 4) goes backwards
    M569 P5 S0                               ; Extr-2 (Drive 5) goes forwards
    M569 P6 S0                               ; Z-axis right (Drive 6) goes forwards (new)

M584 X0 Y1 Z2:6 U3 E4:5                                                 (new)
    M671 X-32.5:332.5 Y100:100 S0.5  ; leadscrews at middle left and middle right, max correction to apply to leadscrew (S) (new)

; *** Set stepper motor drive parameters
    M906  X400 Y500 Z800 U400 E240:240 I30   ; Set stepper motor currents (mA) and idle current to 70%             (new)
    M84   S300                               ; Reduce current to all steppers after 300 seconds of inactivity on all axes.
    M201  X400 Y1000 Z15 U400 E1000          ; Accelerations  (mm/s^2)
    M203  X9000 Y15000 Z360 U9000 E3600      ; Maximum speeds (mm/min) Marlin had Z at 360 mm/s
    M566  X480 Y600 Z30 U480 E300:300        ; Maximum instant speed changes mm/minute (sometime miscalled 'jerk')

; *** Set X,Y,Z Travel Limits
    M208 X-16 Y-45   Z0  U34  S1 ; Set axis minima
    M208 X279 Y218 Z300 U329  S0 ; Set axis maxima 
    For some reason I all of a sudden have two extra axis, V and W. I think I messed up something in the config files. I do recall an issue with that on the DuetWifi forum. But bottom line is: I'm happy with this setup. Thanks Greg !

#167 Rob Heinzonly, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. Syko_Symatic

Well I turned it on and no one died! So that’s a success.

Just have an issue with the BLtouch not working properly, checked all the wiring and that’s ok and it worked in the same sockets before so I’m thinking it’s the resistor wiring that’s dodgy. So I will redo that (or perhaps buy a newer bltouch).

Other things of note! The threaded rods are too high! They are just catching the fan exhausts so a small mod needs to be done the Z motor mounts. I will need to raise the bed slightly as I am a little too close for comfort at Z0 to the rod holders.

Otherwise though everything else seems to be working!

Edit: can’t work out this bltouch problem. I think it’s the resistor? I have measured across the connection and I am getting 4.4v? Should be it 3.3v?

#168 Syko_Symatic, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    PsyVision and potti5 like this.
  9. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

It's normal to get an U axis on an IDEX machine, that's the second X carriage. But you shouldn't have a V axis unless you are creating it in a M584 command in another part of config.g or one of your homing files.

You should be getting 3.3V out of your bltouch. Depending on the version, you have to either cut a trace or add a resistor.

10. Rob Heinzonly

@dc42 : Thanks. Previously I had the printer running with Chase's dual direct titan IDEX conversion, and I just recently moved to the Aero with linear rail (and independent Z-axis). With Chase's setup, I had four axis, X, Y, U and Z. Is it something with the wiring ?

Currently my setup is like this:

X (drive 0) X axis
    Y (drive 1) Y axis
    Z (drive 2) Z left axis on ZA, on ZB I have a jumper over 2A/2B and 1A/1B
    E0 (drive 3) U axis
    E1 (drive 4) Extr1
    E2 (drive 5) Extr2
    E3 (drive 6) Z right axis.

Did I mess up the Z axis wiring ? Do you need to place the jumpers ? It seemed logic to me...
    With the move I only touched bed.g and config.g. Part of config.g you can see above, and below is my bed.g:

Code:
    T0
    M561                  ; clear any bed transform, otherwise homing may be at the wrong height
    G28                    ; home the printer

; Probe the bed at 2 points (IR Probe)

G30 P0 X15 Y100 Z-99999     ; probe near a leadscrew was x32
    G30 P1 X247 Y100 Z-99999 S2
    BTW: I just did a successful Benchy test. So the V and W axis being there is not interfering with anything during printing. It's only slightly anoying ;-)

(used firmware versions:
    PanelDue 1.16
    Firmware Name: RepRapFirmware for Duet WiFi
    Firmware Electronics: Duet WiFi 1.0 + DueX5
    Firmware Version: 1.19 (2017-08-14)
    WiFi Server Version: 1.19
    Web Interface Version: 1.19)

11. Syko_Symatic

Ok! BLtouch was too close to the stepper. Was messing with the magnets I assume. @potti5 have you experienced this? It only happens if the BLtouch logo is facing the motor.

12. potti5

potti5 Active Member

Intresting. I have that way it and no problems.

13. Syko_Symatic

It is really weird. I start the self test mode and it continues to fire and retract until I get face to face with the motor and then it stops. 2 factors though, 1: It is a BLTouch Classic (Don't know if that makes a difference) 2: Could it be the way the motor is orientated?

Who knows? Either way it should work now.

Just a quick bit of rewiring to do (just to neaten some of it) and I should be ready to print something! YAY!

14. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Like I said before:

>>
    It's normal to get an U axis on an IDEX machine, that's the second X carriage. But you shouldn't have a V axis unless you are creating it in a M584 command in another part of config.g or one of your homing files.
    <<

So you need to find the rogue M584 command. Your Z drives wiring sound fine.

15. Rob Heinzonly

[​IMG]

Found it ! I forgot a semicolon in a comment after the M584 command. I must have overlooked it a thousand times. Very deep sigh ! Ok, I will hide in a dark corner for a while, contemplating the meaning of life. (bye bye)

gonzalo, jfb and AndyVirus like this.
  16. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I've got the screws for the X motors at last so will start moving everything across soon

17. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

I have no idea how many hundreds (thousands) of hours misplaced semi-colons have cost me in the last <lots> years...
    Cunning little devils :D

Rob Heinzonly likes this.
  18. Syko_Symatic

You could always spend an hour (or 2) fussing with cabling trying to figure out why your hot end if not heating and no temp being reported. Then discover that if you plug them to the correct connectors they work fine.

Don't work on the printer at midnight, you do stupid things! :confused:

Still it's all working now. Just need to redo the config to include the correct travel limits and I should be able to think about test printing :)

potti5 likes this.
  19. Syko_Symatic

20. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Looks like you have a very nice machine printing well - I think I'll go for this version when I finally get round to building another. Looks good.

Syko_Symatic likes this.