Guess-t-mation print time from S3D is way off from reality?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Pierce, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Hey has anyone else noticed that the estimated print time from Simplfy3d and the actual print times are very different?

I am used to it being a little out by a few minutes etc, but my estimates are 1 hour 15, and the print is 2 hours in already and only 80% complete so over an hour out on a 1 hour print!.

Any setting or restriction in firmware I am missing to speed things up or just need to accept I cant rely on the time estimates, as after all they are just an estimate...

2. goose117

goose117 Member

I'm using Cura with Repetier, and have the same problem, not sure what the root cause is. For now, Repetier has an estimator multiplier, so I set that to double the estimated time.

Pierce likes this.
  3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

It might be some default restriction in firmware about max acceleration or something like that, I just dont know what, or even if it can be tweaked to fix it :)

Ill check S3D see if it has a similar multiplier that could at least be an easy solution!

4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't remember where, think one of Liv's live streams, I heard that it's because it doesn't take acceleration into account.

Pierce likes this.
  5. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

But on my prusa i3 the times were much closer, so I wonder if the acceleration is lower on bigbox and it can be pushed a bit faster :)

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Exactly. Acceleration is a big factor in print time estimates. I usually add 20% to their print times and that comes out close to reasonable

Pierce likes this.
  7. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

In S3D I have pushed the travel speed from 80 up to 100 and print speed up to 65 and just did a print and the guess was much closer, not sure if this was magic or not! Will keep trying and see what else turns up

8. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I think it's going to be very model dependent. If it's true that acceleration is not taken into account, the how much off the estimate is will be related to the number of stop/starts required to print the model. Intricate models will be well off, whereas simple model should be much closer.

9. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

It is true that acceleration is not taken into account, Simplify3D has no way of knowing your printer's acceleration and jerk settings.

10. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Seems like something they could add...?

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's theoretically possible but even then it couldn't be perfect. It would also increase calculation time for little reward

12. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

On my existing printer I have noticed that the print time estimates have changed from being pretty close to the mark on 70% of my prints to wildly optimistic on 70% of my prints since moving from MatterControl's built in slicer or slic3r to Simplify3D. I am using the default S3D profile for the K8200 with a few tweaks to make it more E3D hotend friendly.

13. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

I think playing with the travel speed is what has brought my prints more into the ballpark, which I know makes no sense and I am basing this on a sample size of just 2 prints :) so is very possibly complete rubbish.

The new boxbox code from Greg has travel speed up to 100 so I am not too worried leaving it set higher

14. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

What about the progress bar on the Rumba?

It seems to be based upon (layers finished / layers remaining) * 100%

Since we tend to print our parts orientated like pyramids that leads to predictable nonsense.

Can't we mod it to do something like % total plastic extruded?

Might be more reliable.

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ziggy over on the robo3d forums did something like that I believe: http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...ics-lcd-controller-percent-complete-mod.3835/

If I remember correctly his code was based on total plastic