COMPLETE [GUIDE]Simplify3D Auto-Configure profile

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by potti5, Mar 25, 2018.

1. potti5

potti5 Well-Known Member

I dont know you others but i have been very difficult to see how those Simplify Auto-Configure profiles works and how to use them powefull. Today i decide to figure how those works and which settings it will be affect.

Everyone can "easily"o_O check that like this
    Go to File -> export FFF profile -> save where you want
    Open that exported file to text editor.

When you open it there is structure like this.
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <profile name="BBIDEX(3)" version="2018-03-25 10:47:13" app="S3D-Software 4.0.1">
    <baseProfile>Generic Dual Extrusion Profile</baseProfile>

First there is all possible settings listed. Notice there is only possible settings. Not all what you possible have there saved.

After those there will come overwrite settings. You can see line
    <autoConfigureMaterial name="PLA">
    Under this you can see all settings which you material "PLA" select will be overwrite.
    </autoConfigureMaterial>
    and second saved material
    <autoConfigureMaterial name="Colorfabb HT">
    Same on this "HT" select overwrite these settings.
    </autoConfigureMaterial>
    and so on.

Next sextion is
    <autoConfigureExtruders name="Extruder 0 (left) only" allowedToolheads="1">
    Under this you see all extruder settings what will be overwrited when you select extruder profile.
    </autoConfigureExtruders>
    and second

<autoConfigureExtruders name="Extruder 1 (right) only" allowedToolheads="1">
    </autoConfigureExtruders>
    and so on

And last is quality settings
    <autoConfigureQuality name="0.10">
    </autoConfigureQuality>
    and so on

But that is pretty messy to follow and try to see what change and what no.

I try to do it little easier and made this pictures to me.

AC0.png AC1.png AC2.png AC3.png AC4.png AC5.png AC6.png AC7.png AC8.png AC9.png AC10.png AC11.png
    I hope this help you too.

Second problem. What if those profiles not change all settings what i wanted.
    Example. I want add in material profile Outline/Perimeter Shells settings like this.
    PLA material -> Layer -> 2 Outline/Perimeter Shells
    HT material -> Layer -> 4 Outline/Perimeter Shells
    and so on.

This is possible ;)

1. open exported .FFF file

2. Find line <perimeterOutlines>3</perimeterOutlines> on the "all settings" area. Copy it

3. Paste it to last line in every material on autoConfigurematerial settings area.
    (Before this quote </autoConfigureMaterial>)
    Remember add it in every material becouse if you dont add, software use last used settings for those with not have that line.

4. Save it and import FFF file to simplify. (File->Import FFF profile)

5. Select that imported Profile on process settings page

5. And now you can change to every material different outline shells and profile remember it to next time.

All other setting works same way. If you mess material and quality settings together, last loaded autoconfigure profile is significant.

Allso if you want add new extruder autoconfigure you can copy paste one new autoConfigureExtruders setting and name it what you want. Now you have new selection on Auto-Configure Extruder dropdown menu.

Is good to remember when you add new material or quality profile in simplify you have to add those extra line in to FFF file. If you have lot extra lines is probably easier just copy and paste new material in text editor.

I hope this help and you can now to do perfect settings for you all materials and quality :)

#1 potti5, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

Do the Red, Green and Blue boxes in the diagrams represent <baseProfile>. <autoConfigureMaterial name="x"> and <autoConfigureExtruders name> ?

3. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Thanks @potti5 - I'll play around with that...

potti5 likes this.
  4. potti5

potti5 Well-Known Member

Red = autoConfigureMaterial
    Green = autoConfigureQuality
    Blue = autoConfigureExtruders

all rest is baseProfile settings.

Ephemeris likes this.
  5. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

Excellent work!
    I've wanted to figure all of this out myself for some time. In many ways I prefer how Slic3r controls the profiles but this will help.

potti5 likes this.
  6. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Aha! I wish that Simplify3D had your color coding!

mhe, Miasmictruth and potti5 like this.
  7. MyMakibox

MyMakibox Well-Known Member

This is very useful. Thank you potti5!

potti5 likes this.
  8. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

I still wonder why S3D does not allow to associate any setting to a material, then have some of them overridden by stuff like used nozzles and then just assign the material+nozzle combo to an extruder. This is one of the few areas where Slic3r is a bit better than S3D I think. Maintaining settings for materials inside the application is a bit cleaner.

For S3D I started to have huge excel sheets keeping track of all these things as S3D is a bit illogical when it comes to what part of the settings file holds each value. Then some changed details don't get saved in the FFF profile even when you click update profile and even if that works, it might very well break with the next update.

Don't get me wrong, S3D is still the best FDM slicer out there for our purposes but the settings retention is a huge downside of it currently.

potti5 likes this.
  9. potti5

potti5 Well-Known Member

Thats so true. I dont like S3D much becouse of that but it is still only good choice when printing with more than one material or extruder.

10. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

S3D was my slicer of choice for two years, but it has always been very poor at supporting two or more printers of different types. So I am in the process of switching to Cura. Also, Cura has a plugin for direct file upload to a Duet.

Miasmictruth and mhe like this.
  11. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

That's interesting to know, I haven't looked at Cura in ages. But probably I should...

12. potti5

potti5 Well-Known Member

I am also intrested cura and i try to configure it last weekend. There is a lot settings and many usefull but it some how confuse becouse most of setting is same and just sayed different way. Of course those can make invisible.

There was also one thing what i did not find out... how i do startup scripts when i only print left head or right head or both head. There is only one startup script window and if i only print left or right head i have to send both head temps and then it heat up both head.

Maybe have to try it again some day.