Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Greg Holloway, Mar 10, 2016.
Dual Color Benchy print vs Dual Dump Bucket
Alternate Dump Bucket
But no alternative if you wanna print a full size dual print... This halves the possible Z height...
Hehe. There's a lot of space to put something in, but I really like the idea from @Chase.Wichert to create some sort of chute that drops the filament straight into a waiting bin.
You can place a small stove with an iron pot underneath and heat it up so the dropped filament smelts into a more compact form... That way you could easily place several kilos of filament on the bottom of the box
Testing a pretty large bed with dual printing. I couldn't tile any more of these shapes on. I wonder if they'll all be done in the morning, or if there'll be a mess.
I'm looking forward so much to seeing your mod for this !
Oh man ...
Now a unique piece of art that will never be made again ...
What a mess
Incidentally, I accidentally found that a temperature of about 130 is great for removing this. It's loose, but still stuck together so quite easy to remove. Easier than when it's a near-liquid.
From what I can see from the result, it went wrong here:
This was the point on writing the first layer of text that for some unknown reason it just completely quit what it was doing and went somewhere else. Feels like it was making a move in the X direction and failed for some reason. I'm quite baffled. I've just set the whole thing going again and will pop down and watch it when it gets to layer 5 where the text begins.
On man... Feeling with you...
For testing you can Z move the model in the slicer to start just one layer under the text and see within minutes what happens when it switches to the text layer... Maybe with only one of those parts, then you will see it even faster...
This is why you should always stay up for those extra 5 minutes watching your night time print
"Never leave your printer unattended while printing!" not that I do not do this...
Get your girl friend or wife, a bowl of popcorn and tell here that you will watch a really cool thing tonight: an X hour long growth of something out of nothing!
Yeh. I honestly don't mind the failure. It's just another learning opportunity. Good idea on just printing layer 5 Alex. I could try that next.
OK. So this is what went wrong. 0,0 for the left print head is not reachable for the right print head. Instead of having from 0,0 to 260,0, you actuallyu have from 35,0 to 295,0 or something like that. This dual printing offset needs to go into S3D somewhere for full bed prints.
OK. Now this line of thought is quickly instructive when you fiddle with S3D. First up, we can set an offset:
This then pushed something off the build plate:
You might have noticed above that I upped the build volume X to 300. That's not the right way to go. Already, 260 takes into account the maximum sensible movement of the left head. So at this stage, we need to clear the bed or re-arrange to fit within the space. Finally I have:
I fiddled with the settings quite a bit here regarding the drawing of the writing, which is now using a seperate profile in order to draw only an outline for the text. The thin wall fill seems a bit messy and I don't seem to be able to control how small an infill it will make. I'll let you know how this comes out.
Instantly knew this was a fail. That offset value doesn't help.
New plan. Model on a 260 wide with a 35 offset bed. When ready, remove the offset and push everything to the right (don't forget to adjust for the skirt).
Top Tip. I set the skirt to print with both extruders! This let's you see clearly, before any wastage, that your print will be a success. Also, has the added advantage of getting both extruders purged and primed to the same state.
Final point. This means that for a dual, you can print with a SINGLE HEAD (either in fact) with x=260 but if you want DUAL HEAD on the full bed, your maximum reach is in fact, x=235 wide (300 - 2x the distance between the nozzles).
Now thinking about that tool change script a bit while working on my dual calibration I may have an idea why it works that way and why the values to purge and retract are how they are...
The intention seems to be to push all molten/hot filament out of the nozzle and then quickly retract the new not yet molten filament from the nozzle.
We all should know that you can't pull molten filament out of the nozzle.
But the way Greg set this up does its job too.
Since the new filament is not molten or not much molten you can pull it back nearly to the cold end so it will stay solid.
That way you can take a lot of pressure out of the nozzle, and obviously all this is enough for the nozzle not to drop filament even it stay at printing temperature...
Yep. My early guess is that this was essentially ejection, not retraction. Greg wouldn't reveal the chemistry/physics thought process at the time I asked (further back in the thread), but he did say they may reveal some more details this weekend. From the GCODE, we can see how the thinking about the chemistry/physics was transferred to operational movements, so from there we can guess at the logical reasons for doing it.
Nailed this in the end. Printing the skirt with both extruders comfirmed the plate could be printed and initialised the tools. Also showed how close 35 was as a cut for starting work:
All came out well in the end
Now I want to see a full-bed-size dual colour benchy!
I look forward to seeing your print @PsyVision (and your dump solution)!! Actually, that's a silly thought. I know what the dump quantity looks like. There's no reason for more tool changes than before. I do worry about the potential size of over hangs if that thing is scaled up though.