Hairy Lion

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Jasons_BigBox, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

I'm sure hundreds of these have been printed around the world but I've not seen it mentioned here so here's my version.

I used the version with a brim/raft on the hair support which I think helped initially with stability. As the arch of the support ring progressed it became a bit wobbly, hence the big lines on the outside. It didn't show on the lion itself though.

Post-processing was a bit tougher than I expected, I used a razor blade to cut the hairs from the outer ring and side cutters to remove the ring itself. The ring is very solid so it was difficult to break away without damaging the hairs.

Getting the hairs to fall backwards was also tricky, it was recommended to use a heat gun but I don't have one. I held the model over a boiling kettle initially but it worked better over a pan of boiling water. Be very careful if you do this as it's easy to scald/burn yourself both softening the hairs and when moving them into a 'natural' position. As it is, my attempt looks like he's facing into a wind but I do like it!

Model by _primoz_ here:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2007221

Timelapse here:

IMG_4164.JPG IMG_4165.JPG IMG_4168.JPG IMG_4169.JPG IMG_4173.JPG IMG_4176.JPG IMG_4177.JPG

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Sit him infront of a fan :). Great looking print. Noticed in your time lapse also just how straight your z-screws seem to be. Slightly jealous of that.

3. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Hmmm, not really noticed that myself!

If I remember correctly, the top of the right hand screw wanders a bit as the bed gets lower. I'll take another look......