Has being open source ever affected e3d in a negative way?

Discussion in 'General' started by N3MIS15, Mar 14, 2014.

1. N3MIS15

N3MIS15 Member

To be blunt, your hotend is popular and I have seen quite a few of "home made" e3d hotends. Honestly if I could I would make my own, but I am curious to know if any manufacturers ever tried to "rip off" your design? If so I think you should make such manufacturers known to the community.
    Bring on the wall of shame :twisted:

2. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Re: Has being open source ever affected e3d in a negative wa

There have been several attempts to replicate what we do, and there are quite a few designs that are not copies, but are obviously inspired - and that's totally cool.

I've seen a scant few blatant copies, one out of China, one in the USA. But really, I'm not concerned, the product is really quite hard to manufacture properly and we've perfected how to get it done so that it works. Secondly as the originators we have volume on our side, and I think we are putting out a product at a reasonable and competitive price. You see knockoffs of things like the MakerBot Replicators because they are really over priced for what they cost to make. By being sensible and pricing at a point that is not gouging our customers we are able to be more inclusive and build a wider userbase and support community.

Last thing is reputation, we try really hard to make sure that we keep all of our customers happy and remain and active contributor to various parts of the 3D Printing community. I think people appreciate that and buy from us due to recommendations and reputation. You can't gain a reputation by just copying some engineering drawings, our business is more than just a production line, it's a service too.

Sanjay

3. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Re: Has being open source ever affected e3d in a negative wa

There is not too many 3Der's out there that don't know what an E3D is. The name recognition is fantastic.
    These knockoffs will sell only to a few people trying to save a dollar, once they actually try them they will
    be purchasing E3D.