heat break loose in heatsink

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by R Design, Mar 5, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

v6 hotend

The heat break wobbles a bit in the heat sink.

Is that normal?

(I added a modest amount of thermal compound before mating them.)

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Not normal, means it hasn't been tightened sufficiently.

3. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

It should sit pretty fixed in the heat sink. The other end gets tight only when you press the nozzle against the heat break. But c a r e f u l l y !!!

Mike Kelly likes this.
  4. Trip Ives

Trip Ives New Member

This is my experimental fix (see image) which worked very well. Yes, this is a very small allen wrench stuck between the hot end and the heat sink. It allows for complete tightening of the hot end (thus preventing wobbling) while not having it pressed directly against the hink sink (which would prevent the hot end from heating).

I'm going to run to Home Depot now and see what I can pick-up as a more permanent solution.

... My final solution was a coil made from a think paper clip. :)

20170603_134704.jpg

#4 Trip Ives, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  5. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

That is not put together right - there should be a gap between the heatsink and the heater block. The nozzle should also be more or less fully screwed in. that cooling arrangement isn't the one that came with it I assume?

6. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I have to say I have had problems with the heat break coming loose. I've talked to others who have had the same issue. The lack of a positive lock between the two is flaw as far as I'm concerned. I have found it annoying enough that I've started using high temperature "red" loctite to attach the heat break semi permanently. It's slightly inconvenient in the event of a hard to clear filament jam, but for me it's totally worth it.

(Yes I said RED loctite)
    (Yes I know I've increased the thermal resistance slightly between the heatbreak and heatsink)

Paul Winter likes this.
  7. Paul Winter

Paul Winter Well-Known Member

What would help in situations like this would be some way of really holding the heat-block, while it's at 200C, that doesn't involve a dirty great shifting spanner, Mole grips, or anything likely to cause damage to the thermistor, the heater cartridge, or their wiring.
    I have often thought about drilling a hole through the heat-block somewhere (obviously aiming to miss the aforesaid thermistor and heater cartridge), with the aim of using a stainless steel rod inserted into the hole to give me something to hold the heater-block steady while I torsion down the nozzle

8. Paul Winter

Paul Winter Well-Known Member

Run the heat-break into the heatsink with thermal paste, until it is nearly seated, then clean off the excess thermal paste on the last few threads, before applying red Loctite and screwing the heat-break finally into it's seating?

Ephemeris likes this.
  9. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I might try that on the next one I do! Be a bit fiddly but it's worth a try.

By the way, regular red Loctite (Red 271) probably can't take heatbreak temperatures. Instead use high temperature Red Loctite 272. It's good up to 450 degrees F (232 C). It's a bit expensive and the shelf life is not real long once opened. A cheaper equivalent is Permatex 27200.

Paul Winter likes this.