heat break loose in heatsink

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by R Design, Mar 5, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Double posting from v6 forum which is not very active.

I'm new to the e3d hotend and the heat break seems to wobble in the heatsink.

I added a modest amount of thermal compound and screwed it in to the depth shown in the build manual (the end of the thread JUST visible at the edge of the heatsink).

This can't be right. What have I done wrong?

2. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Do you have a video? Hard to know without visual.

3. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Right side of the heatbreak coupler up?

Re: Forum attention: That's the general disadvantage and communicaiton stopper of all fine-granulated forum sites: People don't just acknowledge that there is a question the may have an answer to. I guess only few people like me and probably you have actively subscribed to all sub-topics of the E3D forum.
    I would vote for a global one stop topic subset where all threads are completely visible. Like in the G+-group but with the added value of searchability. It would still be possible to categorize the topics but keep them visible on one look.

4. R Design

If you touch the heat block then the heat break moves with respect to the heat sink.

The threads don't seem to fit tightly.

I couldn't have been given a heat break for another hot end?

5. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Unlikely. Unless somehow you got a 3mm heatsink or something. You should make a vid. Or the very least post some pictures.

6. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Same argument can be said the same for google+. It's always the same regular people who are social. I think as long as the E3D team makes it an effort to answer questions on here we'll be fine. Or if they close off google+ completely, people will be forced to 1 medium, this forum which will make this community even stronger.

We have already seen a great improvement to this forum as people are told to post questions here and not g+. Also helps the e3d bigbox image to not have a public google page filled with problems giving people the wrong idea about their printer.

7. R Design

Just drove a few hundred miles with my newly assembled BB in the back of the car!

For some reason the forum won't let me upload the vid I just made (10Mb Mp4 ??).

Will try posting on G+ ;(

8. R Design

I'm naive. Never posted a video before. Here it is, uploaded to Youtube:

btw. it wobbled like that "out of the box" when I first screwed it in, without thermal compound & without usage

yes there are traces of benchy PLA on the hotend of the break: nozzle was not tight enough I guess and it left blobs on the print

9. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Posted in your other topic as well, best to post just once to keep discussion in the same place. Comment from the other post was that the heatbreak hasn't been screwed in completely.

Regarding the leaking: Please refer to the E3D hotend assembly instructions when assembling the hotend. The tightening at temperature is particularly important.

10. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

You can click "New Posts" at the top of the page. You don't need to subscribe to individual sub-forums.

11. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Why did you purposely loosen the heatbreak at the end? You should have it screwed snug all the way in with your fingers until there's force preventing it from turning (with care of course).

12. R Design

Thanks for the clarification guys.

My misreading of the manual. "The top of the heater block needs to be level with the heat break thread". Somehow (at 1am etc. after a day of building) conflated heat sink with heater block.

Now really looking forward to the second benchy, but will now wait until the morning when Saturday night's festivities are out of the bloodstream.

btw. I did have a nasty accident yesterday when the bed crashed into the bottom of the Z axis. It seems that when you select "Move Axis / Z / 1mm" that it's easy to set the Z zooming downwards but that when you turn the knob the other way it doesn't stop or reverse the motion, it just keeps going down? Had to cut the power.

If you want to manoeuvre the Z axis to the bottom is it really necessary to stop 5cm away and then select 0.1mm motion?

13. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

The only reason I ran the bed that far down was to just spread some grease around the screws. It squeaked awfully before that but seems fine now. I did also notice the inability to stop it once it's in motion. I think that's probably something that could be altered by a firmware coding ninja, but I'm not certain; it depends how the queuing of commands works. It would be great though, if you're in axis control mode to be able to have total control rather than, as now, kind of emailing the motor.

I've had number of situations that caused me to go for the off switch, already making me wonder why it's oh so far away.