Heat creep/clogs

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by Michael Brazda, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Marcus Mendenhall

Marcus Mendenhall Well-Known Member

If you were trying the Mk8 style nozzles, yes, they do not seat right. I did take a couple of my old Mk8 nozzles, put them in a lathe, and turn the shoulder back so that they could thread in far enough. They worked that way. I had the thought of being able to put a couple of my more expensive Mk8 nozzles (some MicroSwiss 0.2 mm ones) back into service. I haven't needed to actually do this, since I have 0.15 and 0.25 E3D nozzles on hand, anyways, for tiny printing.

2. kpreuss

kpreuss Member

I thought I would share with you some quick note with some Benchy's

BTW, after I figured out the nozzle issue. I then found that when my print reached a certain height, the fan would start to turn off- weird right

Well, I do not solder and decided not to solder the E3D V6 install. I decided to use butt splices instead. You see, solder over time becomes brittle and breaks apart. Depending on where you cut the wire going to your Hot end, it would see a lot of movement increasing its chances of failure. Not to say it wold even fail-I'm not an electrical engineer. I don't even own an soldering iron.(biggest reason why I didn't solder-lol)

So, inside one of these butt splices, one of the wires was shorted out-or coming loose. That's a big 'ol D'oh

So the fan was shutting off again causing heat creep. Fixed that issue(I hope) and decided to take notes and pictures for myself.

I thought I would share my pain and lessons learned with ya'll.

IMG_3679-1.jpg IMG_3680-1.jpg

Spoon Unit likes this.
  3. kpreuss

kpreuss Member

I am about to do another test tonight. Baby Yoda with tree supports following the same recipe as the last benchy. But I am going to make the quality 1 step better. Instead of 0.2mm layer height, it will be 0.16mm layer height

Baby Yoda-60% scale
    CR-10 with capricorn
    Inland (Microcenter or eSun) White PETG
    TH3D Firmware
    Stupid thermal runaway engaged for safety
    Cura 4.6
    0.4mm MK6 (E3D Nozzle)
    0.16mm Layer Height
    1.2mm walls
    240c temp
    60c bed temp
    92% Flow
    110% infill flow
    4mm retraction
    45mm retraction speed

4. kpreuss

kpreuss Member

Final Update.

• Make sure to use the right nozzle and that the lower heat sink fan does not touch the heat block
    • Make sure your wiring is good. My Fan started to short out and turn off about 20mm above the bed
    Both of these issues caused heat creep for me.

I am now printing good prints with Inland PETG-I will post what I am doing in another topic with examples

Happy printing everyone

Kevin