Heat enclosure, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by EASI3D, Apr 5, 2016.

1. jawaswag

jawaswag Member

I was thinking of fixing two LACK tables from IKEA by their legs and slapping on some plywood on the side. Should be a workable solution.

2. jet

jet Well-Known Member

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I am considering (my wife has decided) my printer should go out into my garage. My garage is not insulated and in winter we get typically -5 to -15 degC Some times -22. I really need a heated and isolated enclosure if I move it there. Ill probably use some IKEA enclosure (and isolated it) or make one my self. For unattended printing maybe adding a CO2 extinguisher and an actuator to empty it into the enclosure in case of fire. This way I do not have to worry about the garage and car burning down and the house if the fire department is delayed.

An IKEA enclosure or similar with railed shelves to pull the printer out on for service... any suggestions?

4. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Is it below freezing inside the garage? Our winters in Pittsburgh are -5 to -10C for three months, but my garage temp is usually 10-15C. I'm making my box out of aluminum strut (leftovers from Misumi projects) and polycarb. I haven't addressed the heating issues yet, but I'm going to try running the bed at 100C and see how long it takes to heat up the air in the enclosure. If that doesn't work, it should be easy to put a Peltier device on a heatsink/fan and drive that from an Arduino with a temp sensor.

5. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

It would normally be 5 warmer inside the garage but it depends on the wind. There are openings along the roof to let in air.

Thinking I could insulate a bigger cabinet I could store some liquids that cannot freeze as well :D