Heat Problems Chimera

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by KevinO, Jun 7, 2018.

1. KevinO

KevinO Member

Hey guys,

Iam using the E3D Chimera for a while now and I get problems when printing with two materials (PLA and PVA) the Heatsink is very hot and i get partial clogs everytime after 5 minutes...
    i ordered a bigger Fan 40x40mm and printed already an mount for that does anyone got the same Problems or maybe got a different solution?

2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Is your fan the correct voltage for your printer?
    Is the air free to flow out from the sides of the heatsinks (no mounts or ducting in the way)?
    What temperature are you printing at?
    Is there a gap between the block and the heatsink?

3. KevinO

KevinO Member

yeah the voltage is correct iam using an 24V fan and a 24V output for the fan :)
    yes its free to flow out the hotend is mounted with its back to a wall..
    Iam printing only PLA and PetG so around 200 until 240 Degree Celsius..
    yeah there is a litte gap about 1mm i think on on side. is this a problem?

4. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

What is you retraction distance ? Usually the retraction distance with E3D is significant lower than with other hot end manufacturers.

5. KevinO

KevinO Member

retraction is 3mm with a speed of 40mm/s^2 so i think this should be okay :)
    the other thing it noticed is that my extruder is clicking.. iam using the Titan extruder and i can not extrude 100mm with a feedrate more than 5mm/s is this normal ?

6. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

The clicking sound is a known issue, and is caused by the gearwheels not touching for the full 100% (you can hear this especially with retractions). E3D has documentation about how to solve this. As for the retraction, try to lower this to 1.5mm (I use that with my E3D hot end). See also this link, and chapter "Misconfigured retraction"

Antoine likes this.
  7. KevinO

KevinO Member

yeah i know that the clicking is a known issue.. but does this mean iam losing steps or is this just a beauty issue? :D
    the other thing is i cannot use this less retraction distance because my bowden tubes are 1m long.. so i have to increase the distance.. it all worked very well since 2 months an i had no problems.. but since 1 week i got a lot of issues :/ and i reassembeld everything, used new compound and added a 40x40x20 [mm] fan with 18.3cfm and got the same problems..