Heatbed corner height for replacement part?

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by George Hartzell, May 14, 2017.

1. George Hartzell

Hi All,

I'm [finally] back to building my dual-head big box.

I overtightened the screws on one of the heatbed corners, it cracked and is now useless.

I downloaded the STL files from thingiverse from this link:
    bigbox_dual_v1.0.0.123dx and gave the file for the corner to a friend to print.

The part that he gave me is noticeably shorter than the one that it's replacing. My calipers tell me that the original was 23.25mm and that the replacement is 22.48mm.

I'm left with several questions:
    1. Will I have a problem if I use the shorter one?
    2. Is it shorter because I gave him the wrong STL file (should I have grabbed a different zip file, or ..)?
    3. Would I have better luck getting e.g. Shapeways to print one for me?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I just double-checked the STL file and it is supposed to be 23 mm tall. I would recommendt that all four be the same height and the same height as the laser cut spacers so the platform is not warped. If the platform warps, friction will increase in the bearings which if it is too much will cause binding which is very bad.

As a bonus, allow me to offer you this version of the corner piece I did recently

Eph Heated Bed Corner x4 v02.png The nuts fit in recessed traps so you don't have to worry about holding them when you are assembling or disassembling things.

Attached Files:

3. George Hartzell

Thanks @Ephemeris. I'm having a set of those printed and will get back to building, building, building!

4. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I am building up a new Z-platform and I just noticed the height of the ' Z-axis Drag Chain Anchor Bed' is wrong. This is the printed part at the rear of the Z platform that the cable chain is bolted to. The STL has it 23.25 mm high and as we know the corner pieces that hold the bearings are 23.0 mm tall.

Here's a slightly prettified version with the height corrected.

Eph Z-axis Drag Chain Anchor Bed v01.jpg

Attached Files: