HeatBreak Stuck in Heatsink

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by danielogc, Aug 27, 2015.

1. danielogc

danielogc Member

My V6 HeatBreak is stuck in the Heatsink. It is nearly impossible to unscrew the HeatBreak out of the Heatsink because the HeatBreak and Heatsink is cylindrical in shape. There is no way to hold on to both of them to twist them apart. Is there a method or tip that would do the trick?

Here I would like to suggest E3D to perhaps mill flat landings on both the HeatBreak and Heatsink so that there is a way to grip on to them to unscrew/twist them off each other.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Maybe try spraying some WD-40 or never seize in the threads and trying that. Be sure to clean it off with alcohol afterwards.

Or try throwing the assembly in the freezer. That might cause enough contraction to loosen the threads

3. PhilM

PhilM New Member

Get 2 M6 nuts and screw them onto the heat break and lock them together. Then put the heat sink in the oven ( 60 to 80 deg C should be enough.'
    The alu heat sink will expand more that the stainless steel heat break. Remove from oven and use a spanner on the M6 nuts (locked together) to remove the heat break.

When they are apart clean them thoroughly ( clean heatbreak with a wire brush if need be ) and before you screw them together again get an ordinary pencil and put graphite / pencil lead on the threads . This helps to prevent them locking together next time.
    Good luck

4. MagicDM

MagicDM New Member

I know this thread is old but it seemed to offer the best advice when I recently ran into this same problem and lost a week of printing (and, ultimately the price of a brand new hot end) trying to solve it. I tried the methods mentioned above but, in my case, had no joy. Here is what ultimately worked for me (this was an accidental discovery - made after having recreated the exact same problem with my 2nd, newly acquired, V6 hotend - that's me, always striving to make my mother proud).

NOTE: (there may be some shortcuts to my method here, but these are the exact steps that allowed me to remove the stuck heatbreak from the heatsink - I can think of steps that you can trim here, but I haven't verified that they work)

1. If you haven't already, remove the nozzle from your heater block (this, of course, requires heating the block - you can do this on most printers, even if you have already removed the heat break and heatsink - of course, always use common sense while dealing with the super hot and now exposed heater block and nozzle).

2. Turn your printer off (unplug it to be safe) and let all your components cool to room temperature.

3. Manually screw your nozzle into it's threaded hole in the heater block. Screw it all the way in, as far as it will go, and then loosen it back a 1/4 turn (as described in step 3 of the E3D V6 Hotend assembly instructions here: https://e3d-online.dozuki.com/Guide/V6+Assembly/6)

4 Now (we're essentially still following the assembly instructions) take your stuck Heatsink and Heatbreak assembly and carefully screw the whole thing into the opposite side of the heaterblock (following the instructions, just as if you were simply screwing in the heatbreak while assembling it). Screw the Heatbreak/Heatsink all the way in - so that it buts up tightly with the nozzle (again, almost exactly what you would do if you were assembling).

5. Next, with the help of a wrench, tighten the nozzle a little bit more, back into the heaterblock (as tightly as you can comfortably handle, without feeling like you are forcing anything).

6. Finally, now that you have something that can effectively hold the problematic threaded heatbreak fast (in this case the heaterblock and the opposing nozzle), gently unscrew the heatsink from the heatbreak. If all goes well, your heatsink should finally come free!

7. Unscrew your nozzle from the heaterblock and you will now be able to retrieve the heatbreak as well.

I've repeated this process a couple of times now with success. In each case, I don't think that it was necessarily melted plastic that married the heatbreak and heatsink together, I think it was simply sufficient heat/expansion/retraction that did it. If, while disassembling your hotend, you followed the the vast majority of instructions out there and removed the nozzle before removing the heatsink, your heatbreak no longer had anything holding it tightly enough in the heaterblock and so came out (now thermally tightened, inside the heatsink).

Hope that helps anyone who runs into the same problem.

#4 MagicDM, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017