COMPLETE Heated Bed Supports

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Spoon Unit, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

After a fight with OpenSCAD, I finally got these lovely knurled screws ready and they're just printing.

Simplify3D_2016-04-28_14-02-15.png

After a little design (making the knurling a little more present), I ended up with the following design:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1527311

#1 Spoon Unit, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I would love to try and print that on my BB to compare to what you get, do you mind sharing the OpenSCAD file?

3. Spoon Unit

One they're all output and tested, I'm happy to share the file. Actually it's a mix using a couple of libraries on Thingiverse. One was Nut Job (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:193647) and the other was the Knurling library (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9095). The rest was fighting.

If you use those, as a start, the code was eventually for the bolt:

union() {
    intersection() {
    union() {
    translate([0,0,5.5])
    cylinder(h=12, d1=36, d2=8);
    translate([0,0,-6.5])
    cylinder(h=12, d1=8, d2=36);
    }
    knurled_cyl( 11,
    20 );
    };
    hex_screw(thread_outer_diameter,thread_step,step_shape_degrees,thread_length,resolution,countersink,head_diameter,0,non_thread_length,non_thread_diameter);
    }

And for the but just switch the first union to a difference. Don't be put off by the preview, you need a full render to see it properly. The reason for the conic differences was just to create an aesthetically pleasing edge. Oh, one final point, I ended up making the inner nut thread 1mm larger that the bolt thread.

I'll stick it on Thingiverse once it's all sorted, but for now this might get you started.

4. Spoon Unit

Here's the print @Ray

2016-04-28 14.46.28.jpg

2016-04-28 14.49.42.jpg

5. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

They look really good, what material and layer height? Still can't work out what they are for though? But will be super impressed if/when my BB can print to that quality.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Pushing the PCB against the glass to prevent sagging...

7. Spoon Unit

Correct @Alex9779. That second picture gave it away didn't it, with the extension.

2016-04-28 14.56.38.jpg

8. Spoon Unit

A word of warning on printing this (if you want to that is). I printed the first two, which are left and center, at 100% infill. That set up a lot of internal strain, resulted in lifting and so you see the tops have shadows where it's not touching. I reprinted with 12% infill, but added 4 outlines to keep some strength in the threaded rod and noticed close to zero lift as a result.

These were printed in PLA (yeh - I know what you're thinking) at a layer height of 0.25. I previously printed an alternate (too big) design at 0.1 layer and boy are they smooth.

2016-04-28 14.50.23.jpg

Having just pulled a couple out during the print of the third, I noticed that some heat had transitioned into the parts, despite the cork in the way, so I decided to turn them upside down, so that the nut is at the bottom. It should be a good while before enough heat gets down there to actually create a problem with the bolt turning.

Nevertheless, it's probably a good plan to print this in ABS or something else with a high Tg.

9. Spoon Unit

On the design. The bolt and nut end are 11mm and the threaded rod is 11mm. This gives fully closed length of 22mm. There's around 25mm between the cork and the bottom of the heated bed. You can raise the height of this stand up to about 28mm before the thread connection becomes a little unstable. So there should be enough leeway here most of the possible movement of the bed height from the spacers.

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have something similar in the pipeline but still experimenting...
    But I just printed a design of two parts and a real screw and nut...
    Who posted the design with the spring actually? I remember I saw something, was it @Rob Heinzonly?
    I have no springs and I am not convinced it will be so perfect because depending on how high or low you adjust the bed the spring force is more or less. So if you mount too low then the force can actually push not only the PCB but warp the glass too... You have to select carefully the spring and its length to get this perfect.

I am just going to "screw" the top against the PCB as much as it needs to be pressed as light as possible against the glass. This is something I won't change every now and then...

11. Spoon Unit

The spring design was from @Chase.Wichert. I had similar concerns.

12. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Seems that Thingiverse is currently down, will give it a go as soon as its back up and I can get those libraries, many thanks.

Update: Its back

13. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

I do remember it, but it wasn't me.

14. Spoon Unit

15. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

I just kept cutting it down so it would apply light pressure to the PCB, You can tell when the the spring is too much. My concern with the screw is that it could wiggle loose over time (probably not that big of a deal) I do like the screw idea though. I just happened to find springs at ACE hardware, and thought i'd give it a try.

Plus, springs and magnets make everything look more engineery

#15 Chase.Wichert, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Chris Toast likes this.
  16. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Printed in E3D Everyday PLA, will try them on the next print:

image.jpeg

Spoon Unit and Henry feldman like this.
  17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I used a design with a lock nut...
    For @Spoon Unit'2 design I think it could be but you could alter the pitch if you feel they loosen up...

18. SoBaldrick

SoBaldrick Well-Known Member

Just Printed a set as well, Everyday PLA, looking great, put in place for next print. used 0.25 Nozzle.

DSC00963.JPG

mike01hu likes this.
  19. Spoon Unit

Really nice to see other BBs printing out exactly as well as mine. Cracking machine!

20. SoBaldrick

SoBaldrick Well-Known Member

Placed the supports and seems to be better, heat feels more uniform on the glass.