Heated build chamber

Discussion in 'General' started by kilodoublemike, Mar 10, 2014.

1. kilodoublemike

Alright ladies and gents. Here is the scoop. I have ordered a RigidBot 3d printer, but the manufacturer states that the printer has trouble with warping on ABS plastics (much like most other printers). So my plan is this.

#1. I want to install the Azteeg X3 PRO on it, and couple that with a Kraken.
    #2. Liquid cool the Kraken.
    #3. Build a plexiglass heated chamber that surrounds the printer allowing for movement across all axis.
    #4. Install the Docooler 10A 110V Digital Temperature Controller to the build chamber
    #4a. The temp controller has a thermostat sensor that can activate when the chamber gets too hot, thus regulating the temp in the chamber to a comfortable range that will reduce/eliminate and warping of cooling ABS without being too hot and melting it again. I plan on having vent holes that are basically blocked off until it gets too hot and a fan kicks on to evacuate some heat.
    #5. Successfully being able to pring ABS with little to no warping.

Notes: The heated build chamber idea will not work with an air cooled head because once the chamber gets up to temperature it will just be blowing hot air across the heat sink.

Link to the Temp Controller here: (Also Celcius versions available)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F05UI8O/ref ... LQNP2YS1UR

Any questions or suggestions are much welcome and i look forward to being able to do this and provide pics/videos in the future.

2. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Excellent idea! What if you had a tube that connected to the fin cooling fan and ran outside of the heat chamber.
    That should allow you to cool the fins on the E5D and still use a heat chamber. The small amount of cool air coming
    in may have to be compensated for slightly by adjusting the temps inside the chamber. Just something to think about.

3. kilodoublemike

Thats a great idea as well. I think im just in love with the Kraken so i figured i'll just do liquid cooling anyway.

4. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Have you made any progress on this?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Nice looking controller, especially for the price.

6. AlexC

AlexC Well-Known Member

I have ordered a handful of those temp controllers from different sources,.

Two things to note,.

1) They come set up default as cooling controllers (aka, turn on when temp goes above X, rather than turn on when temp drops below X), so you have to figure out the very clunky, odd, and abbreviated menu to switch it to a heated controller and the only instructions iv found for them are in,.. well i'm not entirely sure what they are in, its definitely Asian,.. so far all 6 that i own have arrived default set to cooling controllers, even if they are specifically adverted as heat controllers.

2) For whatever reason, the BLUE led "c" version has a much simpler menu to figure out than the red LED "f" ones for switching from cooling controller to heating controller.. so its worth paying the extra 2-3$ for the Blue LED "c" version...

Otherwise iv really liked these for temp control on my experimental heated bed, and on a heated acetone vapor "smoothing" chamber.

If you want my source for the ones i like, let me know.