Heater cartridge wire questions

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Mike K, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Mike K

Mike K New Member

Hey All,

Apologies if I am posting this in the incorrect area. I'm currently in the process of installing a new E3D V6 (12V) in my Monoprice Mini V2 and I have a few questions.
    1. The wires from the heater cartridge are not color coded. Does it matter which way I connect them to my printers board?

2. Is it safe for me to use this method of joining the heater cartridge wires? If not, please help answer the Question 3 & 4

3. What is the AWG size for the heater cartridge wires? 18AWG? 20AWG?

4. What crimping tool & male/female connector would you recommend is safe to use with these wires that won't break the bank.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

1. Does not matter as it is basically a resistor that heats up.

4. Engineer PA-09 are well made, last a long time and I have done many many crimps with mine and it is still going strong. I used it on PC Molex connectors (power cables) and for wiring up printers with stuff like Molex MicroFit 3.0 connectors.

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Point 2. This video shows a number of ways of joining wires. For the heater you don't want anything too bulky as it will get in the way. Crimping is fine but ......... practice it first until you get it right............ use some pieces of wire the same size. You need to make a mechanically sound joint before crimping, otherwise if the crimp does not work perfectly first time then the wires may just pull out.

The crimping shown is joining the wires first, then fitting the crimp tube over them. This can mean bending one of the wires back on itself afterwards, not good as it will make a weak spot. Better to make the join in-line but remember to slide the crimp tube (and some heat shrink tube on first :) )

Better still have a look at a few posts from the BigBox early days (some had the wrong part numbers for the connectors) and add a connector, this makes disassembly of the hotend/heat sink etc. much easier.