Heater questions

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by mhe, Jan 13, 2016.

1. mhe

mhe Active Member

I have upgraded my current printer to the 40W heaters and they are just brilliant. Just a few questions about heaters/hotends and the Bigbox. Can't wait to get mine, hopefully soon...

Will the cable length be sufficient to outfit Bigbox with these bad boys as well?

Is the leeway in the vertical adjustment of the printheads sufficient to be able to fit one standard and one Volcano nozzle at the same time without them interfering with each other?

Is combining a 40W heater with a Volcano heater block a good idea or would that be too much?

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I am not aware which heaters are delivered with the BB. According to the build manual and drawing it is as 24v 30W.
    I do not know if the 40W versions is available with the 1700mm lead, you gotta ask the E3D staff.
    Though I don't have mine yet I can tell from working with the CAD file of the printed parts what I see is that on dual head there are o-rings in the head above the heat sinks and you adjust their height be tightening or loosening the screw pressing the heat sink against that o-ring. So there is not much room to adjust their height, I assume the possible adjusting length is max around 1mm.
    No way fitting a normal and a volcano and adjust the height difference.
    For this a new cartridge has to be designed...

mhe likes this.
  3. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

BigBox (and E3D products in general) ship with 30w heaters, as in the event of a controller failure 40w heaters can get dangerously hot.

There's no problem with using a 40w heater and a volcano block, but the additional wattage will not increase printing speed.

mhe likes this.
  4. mhe

mhe Active Member

Cheers guys, very informative.

5. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I asked this once on g+ but didn't get the answer I ment to.

With the thermo couple I know it is rated for up to 400 but what is the theoretical max that the hot end should be run at?

400 or is the heater catraige not powerful enough, or are there other consideration like material the hot end is made of that should be kept below a certain level.

Or say since 400 is the max for the thermo couple should you stay at 390 or less?

Thanks.

6. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Thermocouples can handle 900C.
    PT100 sensors (included by default with the Bigbox) can handle 400C, so best to keep them under 390C.
    Semitec thermistors can handle 300C, to best to keep them under 290C.

The default 30w heater cartridge is good to around 400C, depending on how much airflow hits the heater block.

7. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Thanks I figured it was something along those lines, just wanted to varifiy the practical range, doubt I will ever need that but just didn't want to damage something in case I did.