SOLVED Heating Error on the hotend

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Tetrikus, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Tetrikus

Tetrikus Well-Known Member

Hi there. After one issue is solved, the next arrives. :)

Currently I have the issue, that the heating of the hotend fails most of the times. It doesn't matter if I do a Preheat on the bigbox itself, or if I set a temperature via OctoPrint. After some time (about 30 seconds), the big box shows Heating failed and becomes unresponsive until I shut it down and start it again. Last time I had this a few times ago, I was able to fix the issue with one or two restarts. After that, I was able to print again. But now, it looks like I'm not lucky. Every time I try to heat, I receive this error.

Could there be any logs anywhere where I could see, what the issue is, or what would you recommend to find and solve the issue?

Thanks in advance,
    Tetrikus

#1 Tetrikus, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Heating or printing?
    If you heat on the box does the error occur too? At what temp? Does it reach your target temp? Gets the hotend hot?
    Heating failed comes normally if the temperature does not increase by certain amount over time, aka the heater need too much time, or the sensor does not read the temperature correct...

3. Tetrikus

Sorry, I think I was not exactly clear:

When I set a Preheat on the bigbox itself, it does set the target to 180° for the hotend and 60° for the bed. The bed starts to heat but the hotend does stay at room temperature. After 30 seconds (or so) it does stop the heating process (targets set back to 0°) and heating failed is showing on the display. The hotend stays cold all the time - but it does correctly measure the room temperature (aka shows always about 23°).

When I try to set a temperature over the OctoPrint interface, the target on the bigbox does update to the value I've set, but again: The hoted stays cold and the process aborts after the 30 seconds. In this case with OctoPrint, it does show an error after about 45 seconds:
    The was an unhandled error while talking to the printer. Due to that OctoPrint disconnected. Error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok then "heating failed" is somehow correct.

Can you measure the resistance of the heater cartridge?
    This is not a dual, is it? If yes did you check that you didn't connect the hotend to the wrong connector so that the other hotend is heated?

5. Tetrikus

I can measure if you tell me where and how I do. :)

No it's not - and just to be clear: It was working fine a few days ago and I didn't change anything in the meantime.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Open the electronics cover, there is the HE0 connector where the two yellow wires should be connected to. Just use your meter and contact the two screws you used to fix the cables...

7. Tetrikus

=> ~22.34MΩ

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That is too much... Disconnect the wires and measure them just to be sure...

9. Tetrikus

=> 1.461MΩ

10. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Way too much still. A breakage inn wiring, connectors or heater.

Check wiring and maybe scrape off some insulation and measure.

11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Way too much. Seems you heater cartridge is damaged. Should be ~19ohm if I remember correctly for the 30W heater at 24V...
    Think you have to contact support with your findings...

12. Tetrikus

Even when I disconnect everything and measure directly near the heating cartridge, I have about the same resistance. :( That's no good news.. :( Does this happen regularly? I just did a few prints so far and I wasn't expecting something like this already!? That's quite a bit annoying. Will contact support then. Thanks for your help though!!

13. Stian Indal Haugseth

Not regularly but not uncommon. There is a lot of heat and that would trigger any faults.

14. Tetrikus

Are there any other parts I should order to have them on stock for future failures? I mean, some parts, witch commonly get damaged and would be worth to order?

15. Stian Indal Haugseth

Thermistors / PT100, stepper driver.

Then an extra rumba to be sure :D

16. Tetrikus

Are you serious? o_O

EDIT: I just noticed, that the price for a heater is around nothing. :) I guess I will just order some replacement parts instead of contacting support - that will not be worth the effort, I guess.

17. Stian Indal Haugseth

Well.. Kind of serious. The Rumba is nice to have a spare of but the other parts is worth having.

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Just contact them an tell support you going to order something soon. Then they tell you to make a note on the order and they package it with the order... Saves them shipping and you have your replacement...

19. Tetrikus

Unfortunately I don't find all that stuff in the store. I don't even find the 24V 30W heater. But I'm thinking about an upgrade to the titan extruder as well, this will solve some other issues I have right now. :) Is there another location I can find this stuff than here? I'm sorry to bother you with these questions!

20. Stian Indal Haugseth

You can use the 40W heater as well. Maybe you need to do a pid tuning.