Heating Tools with out having to pick them up

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Amr, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

Hi All

I am working on the calibration of the multi tools now that I have the printer working fine on single tool prints, I am however stumbling here, Simplify3D has no easy way of setting up the hot ends temps if using each tool in a separate process "how it was set up in the supplied factory file for the kraken" what I am looking for is a G Code that would heat up the hot end with out having to pick up the tool first. Or maybe a command to set standby temp and a way to put the tool in standby instead of off. Any help is appreciated.

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

M104 T0 S220 ; set active and standby temp for T0 to 220 and change to standby (i.e. heat up)
    M104 T1 S220 ; same for T1
    M140 S80 ; set bed to 80

Brian Boatright and Amr like this.
  3. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

So I have been trying to tweak the S3D profiles for multi tool prints and I think I am at a good stage, I am attaching a factory file if you want to give it a try and feed back with optimizations The Gist of it is I created a process with all tools 4 times and changed the main tool in each process to be a different tool, and in the starting Gcode I had it add the temps for all hotends as standby

"
    M106 S[fan_speed_pwm]
    M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0
    M104 S[extruder1_temperature] T1
    M104 S[extruder2_temperature] T2
    M104 S[extruder3_temperature] T3
    "
    This means if you are not using all the tools, you need to set there temp to zero so they are not heated for no reason

I did not work on the Materials part yet or the quality.

Attached Files:

#3 Amr, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Brian Boatright likes this.
  4. Spoon Unit

5. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

that is true but S3D has no config for standby temp. dose it

6. Spoon Unit

No specific config features, but if you put this in your start script then you are configuring it yourself.

7. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

I am trying to find a one profile fits all situations, so if I put the the standby temp in the start script that means that all tools configured in the startup script will heat up to the standby temps whether they are being used or not. The compromise I have in the way I set it up is that the standby and print temps are the same I know for long tool changes this could clog the nozel but I did not reach that point yet but I was thinking of puting the stand by temp in the tfree.g file that way once the tool is released it would go to the standby temp and at the end of a print all tools are turned off so maybe this would work. Ideas?

8. Spoon Unit

I long ago gave up on that. S3D is just too weird at times for me to spend any more of my life trying to get there. Instead, I've got a core that I develop. As that core solidifies, a save versions of it for different styles of print as factories (i.e. PLA, ABS, Vase Mode, wide extrusions, and so on). Some prints require multiple carefully designed processes, so again they're saved as factories that I can just load up, push in the mode, and hit go. One size fits all is a noble goal, but I found I could never get there.

9. Spoon Unit

That's a decent plan, as long as the same temp works for all materials and prints. I have a print, for example, that will use T0 for about 3 hours, and then switch to T1 and never go back. In that situation, T1 has a standby of 0. I realise I could get by without anything here and just heat T1 when it's finally selected, but I have a sanity check pre-print so I'm sure everything I need is online.