Help! (Am I stupid?) Octoprint connection probs

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Jon, May 12, 2016.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me what could be happening if I have Ocotprint working fine one day, then go back the next and the web page I had bookmarked for it won't load...?

With BB on it says Octoprint is working on the display, I have checked the cable is connected, and I have also tried "octopi.local" instead of the saved IP address...

2. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Ok never mind, sort of, I found it now has a different IP address. Will it keep that one...? Or change each time..?

3. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

By default most routers will allocate a dynamic IP address. If your router offers the feature you can allocate it a static IP address, or you can configure the Pi itself with a static IP address outside of your routers DHCP address range.

4. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Thanks Sarah I get some/enough of what you mean! As you probably saw I solved it, or sort of solved it. The router says it is a static IP so let's see how things progress. As you are there, do you have any idea about this (see my post at the end...)

forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/octoprint-how-to-configure-a-wi-fi-dongle.829/

5. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

The octoprint.local should be responding despite a change in IP address, since that works on zeroconf (bonjour) networking which finds things by name rather than IP address.

6. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the config in the build document is intended to setup the zeroconf networking, if it is it didn't for me.

It is worthwhile finding out about your router as you may well need the information for other things. If as you say the IP address is different then you don't have a "static address" and it will (possibly but not necessarily) change each time you connect.

The DHCP pool (list) of addresses have a "lease time", within this time you get the same address again, once this time is expired you may or may not get the same address again. It depends if anything else has connected after the lease has expired. Anything else could be your mobile phone, TV or TV tuner, another PC, printer etc.

Finding what the new address is usually means connecting to your router (you may or may not need to login to it to find out what the OctoPi IP address is) other simple tools are available to find the address.

If you are not particularly computer literate then setting up a static IP address on the Pi may be simple or quite difficult. lots of info on the web.

Shout if you need more info.

7. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

8. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

BTW: If you are setting up a static address, you need to tell your router to not also allocate that address via DHCP. So for instance if your DHCP range is currently 192.168.1.50-192.168.1.255, then you need to pick an address <50 (or change the range). Most people have a range they set and a range they leave open for statics (say 25 addresses at the top or bottom)

9. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

Octopi.local not working for me tonight.... What do I do in this case? I have never had an issue with my MacBook Air finding my BigBox thru octopi.local Any advice?

10. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you power cycled it if separate from the bigbox? Is the light on on the Pi/cam as as this indicates power?

Do you know the IP address? And have you tried access via that?

11. JohnEsc

Hey Richard, it seems to have been due to the 1.2.16 update having an update bug. I posted on the Google+ Octoprint community for help but haven't gotten any yet. I did the Save in the Settings dialog window as recommended by Gina Häußge but it still shows that I can't do the update to 1.2.17. The only way I'm able to connect to Octoprint is by using my dynamic dns address. I can't get to it using the octopi.local address or the ip address which is really strange. I have tried restarting Octoprint, the BigBox numerous times, the Force Check for Update in Software Updates, nothing has helped... I was finally able to use Octoprint to at least get a print going today but the page doesn't show accurate information. Not showing the temperature on the graph, not showing the print time, nothing on the Temperature is refreshing. Meanwhile, the camera is fine on the Control page. Really odd!

http://octoprint.org/blog/2016/11/08/bug-in-1.2.16-might-prevent-updates/

#11 JohnEsc, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  12. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmm, I'm not sure what to recommend. I would see if Gina has any advice, she normally responds via Twitter.

I would probably (a) SSH in and do a manual install from source, or (b) reformat my SD with a fresh version

13. JohnEsc

Thanks @PsyVision I was able to get to octopi.local using a MacMini on wired ethernet, for some reason my MacBook Air wireless wouldn't get me to it. I was able to finally do the update once I used the wired desktop from octopi.local.... All is well again!

PsyVision likes this.