HELP choosing extruder for PEEK

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Athul S Nair, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Athul S Nair

Athul S Nair Member

Hello,

I'm planning to build a 3D printer capable of extruding PEEK.
    I need to help choosing a proper extruder setup. I have some papers published by NASA and others about modifying normal 3d printer to high temperature one. What I'm looking for is a extruder capable of reaching high temperature that PEEK required (400-450), and other accessories

I have contacted E3D support and reply was

"if you are not using a heated build chamber hotter than 80°C then I would recommend using the Titan Aqua with the PT100, plated copper, and plated copper, hardened steel or Nozzle X upgrades. If you are planning on using a heated build chamber hotter than 80°C then I would recommend the water-cooled Chimera + Hotend with x2 Titan extruders"

Before contacting E3D I made a list of possible components.
    You can find it here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JnybUAgKRZ1q7VA9vf26Bru9j_Opd9uBlkSL6GmN8qQ/edit?usp=sharing

Q1. Is this a good set up?
    Q2. Is there nay particular advantage in using Titan Aqua or Water cooled Chimera compared to V6?
    Q3. Why can't Titan Aqua used for Chamber temperature above 80 Degree Celsius.?

Also I need suggestions on heating the chamber to a temp >80 Degree Celsius

Thanks

2. sergey stephanian

Titan aqua has plastic parts, thats why it cant be used.
    Are you planning higher then 80c chamber temp ? Good luck.
    Almost nothing can be used at higher temp - all motors, bearings etc

3. Athul S Nair

Athul S Nair Member

By plastic you mean the Water cooling pipes and other parts. Then it is also used in Chimera with water cooling right?

4. sergey stephanian

there is no complete extruder package that you can put in a 200c chamber .
    extruder motor wont survive , carriage bearings will get damaged in no time .

the proper way to do it is to isolate the extruder from the heat .check how stratasys is doing it with a curtain .
    if you are able to isolate the extruder , then it does not matter which one you use .

i can extrude peek with my air cooled V6 +copper block and pt100 with no issues .
    the problem is heating the chamber .

you can get away with 80-90c chamber temp for some peek filaments , thats the max chamber temp of the intamsys peek 3d printers anyways .
    they dont even use watercooling .

5. Athul S Nair

Athul S Nair Member

In my list, i was considering Titan Extruder. But it has 5 printed parts. wouldn't it be a problem at 80 degrees.
    Can I use Titan aqua (since it's all metal) as extruder with out water cooling.

What extruder are you using?