Help please! My story might be a cautionary tale

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by W1EBR.Gene, Oct 1, 2016.

1. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

I cemented several sections of the acrylic frame together. I only cemented sections which would not affect the ability to service the printer. My friend noticed that the machine did not sit squarely on all of its feet. The bottom line is that the frame is not square. The parts all fit together but the left and right sides are not perfectly parallel;
    it's not the leaning power of Pisa, but the right front corner foot doesn't touch the table top by about 3mm.

I have removed many of the nut traps in an attempt to retighten it with it being more square, but I can't get it square.

My question is: Will the printer still function as intended or is the fact that the frame is not square impede its ability to work accurately? I don't want to take more drastic action unless I have to.

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Seems like the two biggest areas that may be badly affected are z-tramming and the parallelism of the left and right Y rods. The Z system can be twitchy but Greg designed in a bit of adjustability. You'd have to go through the z-tramming procedure to determine if you're in trouble there. As for Y, I suppose if it's a problem it'll show up as binding as you move the carriage from the front to the back or vice versa

3. Richard Barbosa

Richard Barbosa Well-Known Member

Also, check if the right and left interior support brackets, located on either side of the z-axis motors are fitted through the slots. It sounds like one of the supports did not go through the bottom slot and maybe pushing the bottom floor out of alignment. It's the supports that you have to tape up to make sure the trap and nut do not fall out.

Ephemeris likes this.
  4. W1EBR.Gene

thanks guys! The interior brackets are the ones I solvent welded into place. If you look at the front frame trim, the spacing at the top and the spacing at the bottom of the vertical section are off by about 3-4 mm. I think I was able to get z tramming to run smoothly and y as well... I will be doing it again because I loosened the carriage to make sure that wasn't the reason things were being pulled out of square.

So it sounds like you are both saying that if all axis glide smoothly, I should be ok. Correct?

#4 W1EBR.Gene, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  5. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

what compelled you to glue it together. it's a solid enough structure with just the fixings I think.

cez likes this.
  6. W1EBR.Gene

I thought that welding it together, in a few key areas, would increase rigidity and ability to be moved without requiring recalibration. I think my biggest mistake was welding anything together before the entire structure was complete and trued as a complete structure.

7. W1EBR.Gene

It turned out that I managed to torque the box out of shape during the z tramming process... Anyway, I will be squaring off the frame and realigning the axis.