Help! RepRap Stops Mid Print

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by 89simmonsalexander, Apr 11, 2015.

1. 89simmonsalexander

89simmonsalexander New Member

Build
    Prusa Mendal i2
    ED3 V6 Hot End
    Wade's Geared Extruder

Host Software: Repiter
    Slicing Program: Slic3r
    Firmware: Marlin

I've been wrapping up calibrations and have started doing some prints. Trouble is most of the larger ones cause the printer to stop working. The extruder will grind and jerk for a few moments, then filament will stop flowing freely, then the print head will come to a stop and I wind up with these air prints. I've attached the Slic3r config.ini file so all my settings can be seen in a .txt format. Besides the hot end temperature, layer height, bed size, and fan, the settings are all defaulted. I really would like to get this printer running smoothly and any help to get me there is greatly appreciated.

Before it jerkshows and fails I get the error cold extrusion prevented.

2. triplanedave

triplanedave Member

A couple of thoughts - if your print-head movement is jerky, possibly the stepper driver voltage is wrong. There are a few guides out there for setting the voltage, but it's specific to the controller board you're using. Take a look to see whether you may need to adjust the voltage on your stepper drivers. Secondly, another possibility is that your temperatures are fluctuating low enough to prevent the filament from fully melting. Look at the temperature graph during a print. If it's falling below 175 (or certainly below 170) then you may be getting failures because the material cannot flow. You can do a PID calibration on your printer - again take a look on the internet to get the procedure to do so (it's simple, but look it up). Be sure to enable any part cooling fans at 50% during the PID calibration. Lastly, ensure that your cold end fan is on continuously during printing. There's no need to turn it off during a print. I have mine on all the time if there is power to the printer. You should not be controlling the fan speed during a print.