Help with BB and filament

Discussion in 'Filament' started by GrodanB, Sep 24, 2016.

1. GrodanB

GrodanB Well-Known Member

I find it increasing frustning that I cannot easily find information that (IMHO) should be easily found.

I bought a big roll of EDGE to be able to print upgrades and spare parts.

Was this filament the best thing since sliced bread? Well how the H*ll should I now that???

Where is the documentation? On the package is TWO temperatures... on the WIKI i can only find the density... (yes I can actually get the price from the E2D webpage... as long as I remember to add tax..) Is that really all information that is available?

Further frustration comes when I KNOW that E3D uses this filament AND has developed it...

Where do we share the information / experience in different setting for the slicer?

I do not think this is a Simplify3D issue but how we adapt the slicer to fit the BB...

So can someone please show me (obviously not smart enough) where to find the information to get to the point that I can start experimenting. I find that I ALWAYS must start from scratch... as if I'm the first person that has done this. And that seems like we can solve with structuring the forum so that I have a sticky EDGE thread pointing at good tutorials / experiences. Same with Simplify3D... point me in the right direction...

Now I'm searching the forum like a swede using a English forum... (Swedish is not very hard, we have 3 year old's speaking it here so maybe switch to Swedish?) I do not consider me as totally lost in the English language... But I'm not getting the nuances to hit the correct words... so how can we, English disabled, find the correct information?

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

For simplify3d
    https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/
    Or http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/mastering-desktop-3d-printing-with-simplify3d.html

For edge a forum search for 'edge filament' gives plenty of hits. Mostly people having trouble with it too so maybe it's just tricky to use.

I'm sorry you're frustrated. There's no single 'right' setting for a particular filament. Your ambient room temp, humidity, draughts, z offset, print surface and treatments all factor in. For some people the experimenting is half the fun.

BR27 likes this.
  3. GrodanB

Will check those again but last time I kind of got the impression that that is what I do...

I'm looking for other peoples settings to see if there is something I missed... or misunderstood...

Have done that search and random bits of information is found but little coherent information is found. Usually is the scattering of information the problem not the actual information solving the problem.

Currently I do not get the EDGE to stick to my build plate I find NO useful information that I can use to get it to stick... Use UHU glue stick... does not work... 80 degrees bed... does not work... use nail gun??? slightly hard on the glass.

Same when I tried ABS. Which is the worst filament I have ever used...

Where is the mythical scripts that Greg H. had concerning retractions? tool change? etc. I guess in some random thread in some random post...or worse G+ page...

Why does not the FFF files contain a setting for EDGE but all other? Or the scripts... (even if I can agree that I should understand and add them if I agree that they work for me). Downloaded from GitHub a few days ago and no Edge in those when importing them.. Although I do not fully trust Simplify3d since I seems to remember the settings even if I do not save them, but uses the only the saved once when slicing...

Just now I suddenly get big blobs that causes the second nozzel to lift the printing nozzel... so 2 hours lost... how shall I search for that problem? If that EDGE related or just that my printer need some help?

ONLY get any progress if my bed is super level (or more correct) parallell to the printer heads... 0.1mm difference and I get no print that sticks... have search for that to... Uses MBL since ABL do not work at all...

This is why I ask for a single entry point for information. THEN I agree that I can/should experiment... now the question is always: Off the 100 different strange things the search gives me... which is really the one I need... So to be clear I do not look for the ultimate setting that is guaranteed to work I looking for the ENTRY point so I can rule out the obvious and focus on the probable...

#3 GrodanB, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  4. Kanedias

Does such a thing exist for any filament? You get a suggested extruder and bed temp, possibly speed and go from there.

Apart from that it sounds like you're having different issues that may or may not be related.

Prints catching on the second nozzle: The reason I wouldn't bother with a dual extrusion printer.
    Solutions? Remove the unneeded nozzle when not in use or keep it heated so it remelts material it contacts

Poor bed adhesiion is almost a universal issue no matter what printer, bed or material. I don't print with edge but for PLA I use a 60 degree bed and specific brand of hairspray that holds rock solid till the bed cools.

I actually think the UHU is meant to prevent Edge sticking too well to the glass so maybe you're using too much? OR maybe your Z gap is too big and the first layer isn't getting pressed down enough? Could even be that all brands of glue are not the same.

Bed leveling? I use ABL and find it works reliably for me. The reason I upgraded the BB was for the active bed leveling compensation. I'm done with feeler gauges and feeling the right amount of drag on a sheet of paper.

5. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I had a nightmare keeping Edge stuck to the glass bed, though it seemed to be more of a warping issue than an adhesion one. I use a print bite bed now which improved things for me.

It is a nice filament when you get it dialled in though, nice finish and the part I was printing in PLA was softening too much in sunlight for the application I had it for (wheel centre covers on a car) no such problem with edge and they came out better looking and stronger too.

ABS just no, very few reasons to use it now with modern alternatives, the stuff was actually designed to shrink as it cools to assist with injection moulding. Which is exactly what you don't want on a 3D printer. It also generally seems to end up in weaker parts than PLA (the layer bonding I could never get as strong)

if it helps my settings are pretty much the PLA profile but Hotend temp 230, Bed 80 and then the fan speed advice wasn't working at all for me (I find the BB fan is generally too aggressive to ever use at 100% except when bridging) so I have 20% fan at layer 10 and 40% at 15

6. GrodanB

But does it has to be like that?

If I had 10 different experiences I have 10 possible solution... much less then the 1000+ I have now counting all combinations...

Furthermore: The answer, that Dr Jeep gave up on glass and went for "bite bed" (?) is one solution I need to think about... after I figure out what a "bite bed" is...

Yes... partly I need to get edge to work to print upgrades / fixes that I think is part of the problem... so I have a "Catch 22" problem that I'm facing....

Again agreed... but to convert I need to print a good PRO carriage... why not in EDGE... ;)
    And the "sneak peak" we got from Sanjay would also be a solution for this...
    Here the problem is the "Snot fest" that was printed as a first top layer... even a single extruder would fail here.... if I had a smoothing nozzel in the second extruder it would have fixed it... (like a cloths iron smoothing / removing anything that has been deposited above the current layer)

By the way thanks for removing much of the frustration... helps knowing that I at least not that far from the rest of the world...

Yes this is precisely what I want... I look at my settings and try this and see the difference... I have a problem figuring out when to use the fan and to what speed...

7. Kanedias

8. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Yes that stuff, it isn't a magic bullet but it has made my life easier, I've yet to find filaments that won't stick to it (in the case of ninjaflex a bit too well), other solutions work such as glue stick but as long as you keep your greasy hands off the surface and only touch it with a non metallic print removal tool, and just wipe it down with a damp towel.....this requires less messing about between prints in my experience.

On the fan, yeh its tricky. Generally you want the fan as high as you can get it and as early in the print you can use it. Though depending on the materials that's a balancing act because too much or too soon either overcools the bed causing lifting, warps the print or overcools the hotend (no longer a problem if you have the new socks fitted)

It's just one of the many variables in 3D printing you have to lean how to identify the symptoms and know what to adjust. Nobody said this was easy right :D

9. GrodanB

Nope, but sometime I get the feeling that it get to much like it is kept hard because we are supposed to like a little spanking...:p

so we get scattered information tidbits that everyone has to collect....

I'll try the fan settings you tried and check the outcome... Top layer seem to be really bad zits and blobs seems to be deposited at random and then solidify... seems like under extrusion but all other layers look great...

10. GrodanB

Fan it was the fan... Need to try Big flat surface with infill under... But it seems like dr Jeep had the correct fan settings....

11. GrodanB

Since I constantly seems to need to bed level and that seems like the solution to 50% of my problem I'll test to add these to the standoffs so I do not need tools to level... also to test the Edge fan settings again... Which it seems is the lackning 50% of my needed solutions...

I also find it funny that the solution to my problem is the FAN a swear word in Swedish (also one name for the devil)

[​IMG]

And IRL:

[​IMG]

#11 GrodanB, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    markoaurelije likes this.
  12. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Try the "Filament" section of the forum! :rolleyes: Seriously though, so many users hit "BigBox General Chat" and fail to vector their comments to the appropriate section and I am guilty too. One day it might work but I believe @Alex9779 can apply a sticky if necessary in a section or move a thread.

Use the adage "Ponder before Posting" from the Old English phrase "Think before you ink"! o_O:D I'm sure there is one in Swedish too! :)

13. GrodanB

I actually choose to add it to general since I do not need solutions for other printers.

So I did think before... Most was written in filament but I consider this as much more a general bigbox problem concerning support and help to find the corect answer...

Also I choose to write Filament not Edge also why I asked for a coherent entry point to find information I know is here...

And yes the saying is identical in swedish... Except all letters... And the order they are used...

#13 GrodanB, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  14. GeckoBox3D

GeckoBox3D Well-Known Member

Meh... Check out colorfabb, they have insane amounts of documentation. None of it is lost in a forum, its posted on the website for all to see.
    For example, http://learn.colorfabb.com/how-to-print-with-ngen/
    If you pay premium, expect premium..... Leaving documentation up to the community is not on in my opinion. Unfortunately though, E3D are not the exception when it comes to this... rather just the norm.

Saying that though, it sounds like your printer has a few issues and these problems probably won't be limited to EDGE.