SOLVED Hemera and The Case of the Odd Extrusions

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by Haytham Bennani, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Haytham Bennani

Hey everyone, hope you're all staying safe and sound these days.

I've got a first-batch set of Hemeras that have been acting a little odd lately. I seem to have some weird artifacts with any filament, whereby the extruded material seems to have "pulsed" extrusions. This may be down to TMC chopping, but I can't rule out mechanical issues either at this point. Here's a closeup of what that looks like:

IMG_20200328_122648.jpg

If you look closely at the perimeters, you can clearly see what seems to be "pulsed" extrusions, for lack of a better description. This shows up no matter the temperature, no matter the material, and no matter the printing speeds, which leads me to believe this is related to the gears on the Hemera itself. I've disassembled both of them (which both exhibit this behavior equally) and checked all shafts/gears/bearings are properly seated and not cracked/damaged/snagging. Everything mechanically seems 100% in working order.

These artifacts appear on perimeters as well as solid infill and infill, ie all the time. I can't figure out what quite is happening. My e-steps are calibrated, and I'm running x16 microsteps with interpolation on a Duet Wifi controller, with 1A to the Hemera motor as per the E3D config. I've varied the amount of tension to the filament, which doesn't seem to have any effect, and I've also tried disabling interpolation (which wouldn't do anything visible at x16 microstepping unless you're using a microscope).

Dimensionally prints are perfectly fine, so I'm sure its not the motion mechanics of the printer that's causing the issue. So what could this be?

2. Haytham Bennani

Alright seems like this entire issue was based on frame mechanical problems. Please ignore this thead.