Hemera Filament Pop at Specific Distance

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JamesK, Jun 29, 2020.

1. JamesK

JamesK Member

Hey Folks..
    A very odd thing is happening with my Hemera which I recently installed and I could use some help trying to figure out the cause.

About 10 seconds after a new line is started, there's a pop noise like the filament is wet and it results in a gap usually.. sometimes the line curls up and leads to a bad print.

BUT, no matter what filament brand or color or used or fresh roll I use, it's always around 10 seconds after a new line is started (after a retraction). I've proven this to be consistent by printing a box outline 4 times and each time starting at a different corner... and each and every time at around 10 seconds, the pop is heard and a gap created. I can't figure it out.

All of the examples below are of the same model.. just a rectangular box with a skirt. The sides are short and the front and back are long.

This is one test using a silk rose gold pla filament (fresh out of the box from an order I received today).
    The print started at the back left corner.. the gap you see occurred about 10 seconds of print.
    [​IMG]

This one started the line at the front right corner (opposite corner of the above) and the gap is around 10sec later. You can see the gap is almost at the mirrored position from the pic above. This was also a fresh spool of white pla as of yesterday.
    [​IMG]

And this one started at the back right and the gap is around 10sec later.
    [​IMG]

2. Marcus Mendenhall

Marcus Mendenhall Active Member

In my experience, the hemera only needs tiny retraction. For most of what I do, it's less than 1 mm. Are you retracting a lot, and pulling in air into the nozzle?

3. JamesK

JamesK Member

Retraction is at 1.8mm. I'll try a shorter retraction. Thanks.

4. JamesK

JamesK Member

Looks like that was the issue. I lowered it to 0.8 and the pop/gap is no more. Thanks for the suggestion! It's still pretty odd that this happens.. it doesn't happen on my other printer with BMG direct extruder.