Hemera Filament Routing

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Paul Arden, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

For those that have updated to Hemera (or other direct drive), what strategy are you using for managing the filament path? Did you just keep the bowden tubes and existing spool setup (so reverse bowden), go with something else or do away with the tubes all together.

I’ve seen a couple of people going with spools above the printer and no tubes but there is some talk of potential for tangles between filaments and the tool cables with that.

Also noticed that the images of the non-FDM Hemera mounting option @Greg Holloway made have the setup in the attached picture. Looks like a large tube zip tied to the small section in the Hemera and then the main tube running into that loose.

Is that for helping with retractions? From what I understand during retraction the long tube would back out with the filament and then get pulled back in afterwards. I would guess getting the zip tie tension right so as to keep the outer tube on but not apply pressure on the filament would be tricky.

So in general, who’s doing what for filament path for direct drive.

Attached Files:

2. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

I started with the bowden tubes, but it didn’t work for me. Some filaments broke inside the tube. I positioned the spools above the printer and put a short tube in the Hemera, approximately 50mm. So far, about 6 month, it has worked fine. No tangles between the filaments. When printing TPU, I manually rotate the spool every now and then so it won’t be stretched too much.

Paul Arden likes this.
  3. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Paul Arden likes this.
  4. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

For now I've decided to stick with the reverse bowdens since I don't have a place to hang spools. The dock adapters in Thingiverse now do keep the PTFE right against the acrylic but I modeled some additional guides parts (attached) to screw in where the Titans were to just hold them straight and out of thew way as they go down. I'm probably go to no tubes down the road but I had enough PTFE around so will try this first.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: