hemera gets stuck constantly

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by Lombar, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Lombar

Lombar Member

I have a problem with my Hemera. It's a recent problem that happens with all my filaments. Original X nozzle is used and I changed it, I changed the heat break tube, the block, the thermistor, the fan... but I can't solve the problem.

It isn't a heavy stuck in the tube. I use 0.2mm as retraction and try it in all the temp margin with every filament. I load the filament without problem, starts to print,... but after 20-30 minutes stops to extrude and I have to stop and clean. I have the problem with Sunlu Pla+, FormFutura PLA, FormFutura metallic PLA, FormFutura Volcano and with the special FormFutura CarbonFill. The stuck isn't in the nozzle, is in the heat break around 1cm from low part. It's like a step that I have only to push with a 1.5 metallic dipstick to work another time.

2. Marcus Mendenhall

Marcus Mendenhall Well-Known Member

Have you tired cleaning off the old heat sink compound and putting a nice fresh batch on the heat break when you install it? It sounds like poor thermal contact of the heat break to the body, resulting in heat creep.

3. Lombar

Lombar Member

Yes, I put a new heat break with thermal compound (one from computer with a very high transfer coeficient). I have the problem with all my filaments and I don't know how to solve it. Next weekend I will receive a new temp sensor, it's the last part to change. Meanwhile I only can print small parts and crossing my fingers.

4. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

can you check the fan is running correctly?

it sounds like it might be heat creep.

5. Lombar

Lombar Member

Yes, and i changed it for another original one trying to solve the problem. I changed nozzle, heater, heat breaker, block, fan and filament. I have to change the temp sensor as final test.

6. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

is the idler tensioned correctly?

7. Lombar

Lombar Member

Yes, and Vref adjusted.

8. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

what do you mean when you say stop and clean?

also can you attached some photos of the hemera setup please.

9. Lombar

Lombar Member

I have to stop printing because the nozzle is in the air. Them I only heat around 240º, unload filament, push into the heat breaker with a 1.9 dipstick and I note like a little step around the middle, it's a soft step that I can move to the nozzle and filament go out through this. I load the filament and it works again. After 20-30 minutes printing the problem appears again.
    The filament that I unload is marked by gears because extrusor try to load it but it can't. If I try to push the filament with hand I can't to because filament isn't rigid. I could understand with high retractions but usually I use between 0.2 and 0.5 and I don't spend time raising Z or retracting between layers.

I made a test printing a glass with spiralization and I hadn't the problem, perhaps a casualty perhaps because the print doesn't stop.

Now I have the block unmount waiting a new temp sensor but I attach the photos, no problem.

Thank you everybody for your help, and I'm sorry for my English, it isn't first language. Sometime it makes me difficult to explain and you understand me.

IMG_20200430_120112.jpg IMG_20200430_120123.jpg IMG_20200430_120152.jpg IMG_20200430_120210.jpg

10. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Your english is good enough.

Can you show me the front of the hemera and the idler too please?

Usually if the filament is soft inside the heatbreak it is because there is not enough cooling to the hemera. Can you check what voltage the printer is and what voltage the hemera fan is too?

11. Lombar

Lombar Member

The power supply offers 25V. At fan I have 24.7V.
    The fan is new and original from e3e-online.com because with the first I broke one blade accidentally. For that reason I put a grill at the front of the fan. Now I have a doubt about that, must fan flow inside Hemera or must extract the air from Hemera?. Now it's extracting, air crosses along the Hemera and goes out through the fan.

IMG_20200430_161031.jpg IMG_20200430_161108.jpg IMG_20200430_161123.jpg IMG_20200430_161135.jpg IMG_20200430_161240.jpg IMG_20200430_161305.jpg

12. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

13. Lombar

Lombar Member

How is the way? Blow into?

14. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

15. Lombar

Lombar Member

Ok, thank you so much. Tomorrow I'll tell you if this was the problem.

Greg_The_Maker likes this.
  16. Lombar

Lombar Member

I'm sorry, I had a little accident and I was during a month in the hospital. Now I'm fine.

Yesterday I made some things (all parts from e3donline):
    - New Fusor
    - New thermistor
    - New fan
    - New temp breaker

Fan has a tension 24.5V and it's really working, it's so noisy.
    I started to print with Form Futura Volcano PLA (225º-255º, 50º-70º, 50%-º00%) ajusted as ever at 235º, good adehsion at 50º. Around layer 30 it clogs (a little cloh really). Second time I was out home for a time, at the back I found that clogged again and it continues and extrusor finally clean it and restart, but now layers are in the air and only do long hairs. After a few clogged again.

I'm desperate

17. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

18. Lombar

Lombar Member

It's exactly as described, white part just the border.
    Now it's clogged. I hot around 250°C and insert the filament manually and I note a "soft" clog that I can push, the nozzle expulse filament and it works again. My retraction is 0.2 mm and I tested with normal PLA at 190° with same result.

19. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Can you post some new photos of how it is installed please. Also check the motor wiring and current/power settings.

20. Lombar

Lombar Member

The Hemera has been working from first of year until now. All the cable and connectors are ok. It's a recent problem that I can't understand because all things are exactly the same and I expend so money replacing the parts that can cause the problem. I changed all except the aluminum refrigerator that it's the base of Hemera and I can't buy alone.

IMG_20200602_174938.jpg
    IMG_20200602_174955.jpg
    IMG_20200602_175005.jpg
    IMG_20200602_175025.jpg